Cleaned the chimney today- not bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I cleaned the chimney today. Removed about 1-1/2 coffee can of soot, creosote, etc. That was after burning about 5 cords over the winter. 2/3 of the winter was using my old VC Resolute Acclaim and 1/3 using the new Woodstock Stove. Not too bad, considering the final month or so of the winter was burning admittedly unseasoned wood. It was wood that I had split only in November 08, so had only 3-4 months to dry. I'm expecting better results next heating season with all seasoned wood.

It seems like this falls in line with what other burners run into, assuming they burn hot. That's the key- keep it HOT!

Sound like you are doing it right. Keep on keeping on.

Coffee cans are used as a sweeping reference so often here that I think we need to do a standard definition. :lol:

I am an old guy. I remember when a coffee can meant a one pound coffee (16 ounce) can. Only get that much out of a chimney and you are my wood burning hero for life. :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.