Cleaned the chimney today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Well last night at 0345 or this morning however you want to look at it. I was on duty (paramedic) and a 30 Apt building was on fire!!
I get called to the scene and thankfully everyone was out and the F.D. was on scene doing there thing. 4 engines, 2 ladders and hundreds of feet of hose to get to a good water supply with enough pressure to run all the equip. The building was a total loss and the fire spread through the attic like crazy with a small breeze. 2 story about 50 yards long. I made sure that the Red Cross was notified early and set up buses to take residents to shelters for the night. Outside temp was 25f and I was not dressed for it but kept warm by making sure the residents and F.D. guys were all safe. 7hrs later the fire is out enough to start releasing EMS. No injuries were reported from either residents or F.D. personnel.

The fire was not wood stove related but made my think about 50 displaced residents and when I got home after a nap I cleaned my chimney even though it prob. didn't need it.

So if you need an excuse to clean yours today you can use mine.

And to think I complained about my night's sleep.

A clean chimney is a happy chimney.

Good work all around

pen

I am about 45 minutes South of you and saw this on this evening's news.

Praise God no one died.

Never a good thing but now a couple weeks till xmas that's horrible for these people. On another note I had very little creosote in the chimney maybe one dixie cup.
I have about a 18ft run straight up. I'm kinda lucky, ranch home, 5/12 pitch, I can walk right to the ridge pop the cap sweep away and pop the cap back on. The whole process takes me thirty min and that includes putting away the ladder and shopvac. :)

I am sure you are a great guy. But I hope you never come to my house. Especially not at 0345.

Thanks for being in this world. I know what medics get paid, so I hope my gratitude is worth something.

todd

Always sad to hear.

That's terrible. When the snow melts, I'll clean mine out. I definitely need to stay ahead of it considering this is my first winter and I am burning crap wet wood.

Thanks
Kevin

Sleepy said:
I am about 45 minutes South of you and saw this on this evening's news.

Praise God no one died.

Must be my neighbor... 60 min south of OP.

My chimney gets cleaned every month . . . regardless of how good or bad it looks.

1) It only takes me 5-10 minutes to do.
2) It would look really bad to have a Fire Safety Educator/Firefighter have a chimney fire.
3) I'm kind of partial to keeping my house.
4) I've got to justify the expense of buying my chimney brush and rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.