Cleaned the convection blower today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellis8

Jan 27, 2014
North Cape, WI
I cleaned the convection blower today for the first time in 4 years. I know, but I joined this forum and am finally learning all there is to know about these things. What a huge difference! Maintaining my stoves is quickly becoming an obsession. Driving my wife nuts, but she loves the heat!

Clean stove is happy Stove.
If you waited 4 years to clean the convection blower.....what does your combustion blower look like? lol

P.S. I remove mine and blow it clean with a compressor.
Then spray the blades down with either electronic contact cleaner or Alcohol.
Then use an old toothbrush to scrub it.
Another blow of air to dry it out.
Add lube oil if needed (some don't)

Re-assemble.

It really quiets the stove down when it's clean. And more heat.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Clean stove is happy Stove.
If you waited 4 years to clean the convection blower.....what does your combustion blower look like? lol

P.S. I remove mine and blow it clean with a compressor.
Then spray the blades down with either electronic contact cleaner or Alcohol.
Then use an old toothbrush to scrub it.
Another blow of air to dry it out.
Add lube oil if needed (some don't)

Re-assemble.

It really quiets the stove down when it's clean. And more heat.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---
Hey Nailer, thanks for the tips! I've actually cleaned the combustion blower, for the first time this past fall. I brought the whole unit outside and hit it with compressed air. Don't know why I didn't pull the convection blower, just dumb and/or lazy I guess. On a side note, other than the obvious quieter fan and better air flow, which is really nice, is there any reason the pellets would burn better and cleaner? It really seems as though the whole unit is working way better and I can't figure out why. I'm very pleased and at the same time, angry it took me so long to figure it out.

While not directly connected to the actual combustion, perhaps the more efficient removal of the heat through the heat exchangers promotes a better burn...

If that was the first time you cleaned the combustion blower even indirectly, you have much more airflow through your burn pot which will give you better, more complete combustion and help blow the ashes out of the burnpot and keep it cleaner longer. Don't wait 4 years next time. That's your project for the Spring!

Status
Not open for further replies.