Cleaned the flue and removed the baffle for the first time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
Cleaned the flue this evening which hasn't been cleaned since last November and this is all that was in it. Maybe a cup of black dust. Also removed the baffle for the first time since I got this stove (season 4) and gave it a good cleaning. I usually clean the flue and remove the first 3 firebrick and stick the vacuum hose up there but this time I wanted to check the stove over good. Very little ash on top of the baffle which I blame on my very strong draft. Hardest part in putting the baffle back was holding the damper plate up trying to keep the damper slider in the two forks of the damper rod and put the center support back in. Really wasn't hard just somewhat of a PITA. Now time for a fire==c
picture563.jpg

thats exactly what you wana see just a little pile of powder,ive taken the baffle outa the liberty a few times over the years. the next time you do it it will be a piece of cake.

Reactions: webby3650
thats exactly what you wana see just a little pile of powder
I was surprised it wasn't more considering the length of time between cleanings and the fact to that even with a 700 degree stove top and crazy secondary's I still get a good bit of smoke out of the chimney. Its not as much as some people around here but its more than I would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.