Cleaned the flue, broke the baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
Yep....cleaned the flue, not even a coffee can of coffee grounds. Pretty happy with that.

After fighting with a cotter pin to remove the front burn tube, took the baffle plate out and set it, oh so gently, on the floor. Oh so gently picked it back up, and it split in half, front to back. Its not a vertical break, but on a diagonal, running about a 1/2" from left to right. I put the plate back in, pushed the 2 halves together, and I'm not able to see daylight thru it.

I think I'm ok here, but reaching out to the Oracles...

Gabe

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to direct the smoke over the secondary burn tubes. It will work with a crack that does not let daylight pass UNTIL you can replace it. I would replace it since I am not the most gentle at loading wood. I would shift the two parts every time I loaded the stove and that would defeat the clean burning characteristics of the stove.

Sounds like a plan man...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.