Cleaned the flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
Mild day today, so I got out the Sooteater. Less than a quart of coffee grounds. Not pushing a ton of wood thru the insert this year, but still, not bad for an external un-insulated liner. I've had a couple bouts of dirty glass, but overall, this has been one of my better years burning.

I've got 2 friends with Jotul inserts - and this is not a Jotul condemnation, they just happen to have Jotuls. One is a new burner that spent some good $$ to get seasoned wood. The other has had the stove for many years. Both have thick buildup on the glass. The new owner just needs some guidance;). The other guy had a bad install (partial liner), but also bad habits. He finally got a full liner, but they think nothing of putting big spits on top of coals, and shutting the air immediately, and I mean all the way. When I 'suggest' that the new load should be well ablaze before playing with the air, you can see his eyes glaze over. This ones going to be a hard sell. I can tell you that he was impressed by my white firebrick and clean glass!

Gabe

Reactions: Dix
Need help ?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.