Cleaned the glass on the stove, and....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
....now I can see the fire again. That's it, nothing earthshattering. Isn't that special? :lol: (it's been that kinda' day.)

It is a good feeling to see the flames through clean glass . . .Enjoy!

Why was the glass dirty? What did it look like? I've cleaned white soot of mine 3 times this winter burning 24/7 since early Nov. Even then, you can see the fire well through that white soot, it just looks unkempt if the fire has died down.

If your stove glass is sooty black/brown, I'd say you have your stove idled down too far or you are burning wood that isn't well seasoned. The glass on a modern stove is really self cleaning if you are burning properly.

pen

That time of the year. Shoulder,smolder season.
I burn mine mostly off with a good hot fire for about 45 min first in the AM.
Add 1 small spit (E/W up front) to what's in there & turn on high (3) fan off.
Helps get much of it

Yeah, this is kinda a goof post. Glass was dirty in the lower corners, fine elsewhere. Weather has been so funky lately, I got 6" of snow on Sun., and they have wildfires on the Front Range, 45 min. from me. I've been working on 3 sets of blueprints all day, so popping in here occasionally during the day between info. input. I'm totally braindead. Oh, BTW- 6 splits at night, going for about 22-24 hours with adequate heat. I am happy. (Edit- I need to add Solar Gain during the day, it hit 81 °F , in the front room, and the stove was less than 200 stove top at that point.)

pen said:
Why was the glass dirty? What did it look like? I've cleaned white soot of mine 3 times this winter burning 24/7 since early Nov. Even then, you can see the fire well through that white soot, it just looks unkempt if the fire has died down.

If your stove glass is sooty black/brown, I'd say you have your stove idled down too far or you are burning wood that isn't well seasoned. The glass on a modern stove is really self cleaning if you are burning properly.

pen

Pen is over thinking this thread.

BrowningBAR said:
pen said:

pen

Pen is over thinking this thread.

Re-read the OP and you are damn right. Guess it's been that sort of a day here too.

I gave up vodka for lent and the beer just isn't keeping up. I need to relax.

Thanks,

pen

no pictures it didn't happen.

I can't believe I just typed that.

The only time I end up "cleaning" the viewing window is when the wife has had her hands on the fire!! She gets the logs so close to the ceramic that they are essentially TOUCHING it! Then she wonders "why" it's dirty?! (That, or she lets the fire smolder, or both).

-Soupy1957

Franks said:
Never give up Vodka for lent. I give up stewed carrots every year.

I always give up fish. Used to drive my Devout Roman Catholic (ex)Mother-in-law NUTS!
Fish & Lima Beans...

Pen....how about whiskey sour wednesday?....yeah........ ;-P tequila Thursday ...frozen margarita friday....slow screw saturday ;-) and slow gin sunday....you know what monday is....

I guess dirty glass is a small trade off for looooong burn times.

I hate when I load in the am before work....and the secondary light show starts....can't pull myself away..have been late for work actually.....love to watch....like taking a couple xanax.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.