Cleaned the Pipe Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Hey all,
Spent about 30 minutes cleaning the stove and the stove pipe using the SootEater. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I have very little creosote on that pipe. After everything was said and done I had less than a cup of creosote. Just above the half mark. Took out the internal 4 feet of pipe to clean out the re-seat it. Sealed it with stove-fireplace cement-mortar. The weather was perfect for it as it was about 50 and sunny.

Sounds like an easy clean! You must be burning hot and with good dry wood. Makes for a pleasant winter that way.

Nick, I am burning 2 and 3 year old Locust, Cherry, Maple and Oak. I average 600 stove top temps (Rut-land therm and IR therm) Sometimes she gets feisty and goes up to 700 and 750 but i try to keep her at the 600 levels.

I like locust, burns good and hot. You seem to be getting good heat out of your set up. Down here in NC we don't get as cold and I can cruise the big Jotul F600 at 350F - 400F and keep the place pretty warm most days.

I had less than a cup of creosote.
unlike all you lumberjacks and DIYers out there :), I am not in a position to do my own sweeping!!! But I did have a sweep out today so I could see how I am burning since the installation in May. It looked like about a cup or two of creosote--most was dusty/crunchy, one or two little pieces were shiny. No sticky. This is from about 17 feet of pipe (from the box to the cap). Does that sound reasonable for several break in fires, a few weeks of "shoulder" fires and two months of 24/7. He said I should be set until the end of the burning season or the beginning of next season. Would love feedback on this. ALSO, he suggested I get some thing I can spray on the wood to prevent creosote. Anyone know anything about this. Thanks for any advice. So much to learn.

With those results I would have asked him just what the spray will accomplish. Keep doing it like you are doing it and forget about sprays.

When I grow up I want to get just a cup or two of soot out of the pipe like you guys do. >>

Reactions: Snotrocket
I use this once every two weeks when the stove is hot and it helps. I have been using it for a few years now and i like the results. The best prevention Dyerkutn is burn wood very low moisture content.

Attachments

• 5ru-98-1-xxlg.jpg
    5ru-98-1-xxlg.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 87
A cup or two aint too shabby, but depends how long & often you have been burning.
As far as the color and texture. Most shoot for a brown coffee grind like color/texture, or more a powder.
Its the thick, black, shiny stuff you want to avoid.
Dry, black chunky is about mid way. But many will get some of this from the top portion &/or cap which is the coldest portion of the system.

Its the thick, black, shiny stuff you want to avoid.
good--definitely none of that.

Dry, black chunky is about mid way
not too bad--mine was black, a mix of dust and very tiny chunks
But many will get some of this from the top portion &/or cap which is the coldest portion of the system.
good point--I have no idea which part of the pipe it was from. Will try to pay more attention next time. Thanks for all the info.

DyerKutn, Its taken me two seasons to finally learn how to use my 30 stove. All the while my piles have been seasoning to more productive moisture levels. It is a big stove and it allows for a lot of wood. I can honestly say that I have gotten the stove to maintain an average temp of 600 for about 5 to 6 hours then it starts to drop off. It seems to me that it drops from 700 to 600 much faster than it does from 600 to 300, which is usually the temp that reload 12 hours later. There are a lot of variables involved. The specie of wood, how much air to give the stove at fire startup and when to start to slow down air, how cold it is outside, damper setting. My stove has been running nonstop for almost a month, so i havent had a cold start in that time so my stove top starting temps due to that are usually 300. I load the stove and leave the air fully open for about 30 minutes (the first 4 minutes the front door is also 1/4 of an inch open) yes 4 minutes, not 3 not 5, I spent a lot of weekends getting this down to a science. lol. Once all of the logs are flaming usually at the 25-30 minute mark, I start to dial the air back, by then the stove temps are at 700. By closing the air by 20% every 10 minutes until almost fully shot, the secondaries take over from there. Its a process but its a process that i enjoy. It takes planning and learning to get where I have her today. lol. Again, none of this will work if the wood is not between 10 and 15% MC. Oak is the hardest to get to 10% which is why I get flooring scraps and lumber chunks from a mill near where I live.

Reactions: CenterTree
Thanks for this detailed description. I have read many descriptions of how people do cold starts and reloads which has greatly added to my repertoire of techniques to try.

It is a big stove and it allows for a lot of wood.
I think my stove is much smaller so I doubt I will get as many hours as you do. Anyway, my space is not that big so except on near 0 temps if I pack it full I have to go into my unheated bedroom to cool off!! But I may have a chance to try a full load this week and see how long the stove temp. stays up. I had been monitoring with the flue temp but I see now that the stovetop temp is a much more reliable way to go.

I load the stove and leave the air fully open for about 30 minutes (the first 4 minutes the front door is also 1/4 of an inch open) yes 4 minutes, not 3 not 5,
It seems a lot of people keep their door open for a short time. I find that when loading from a low temp. the small pieces flame up more quickly with the door closed. Also, the amount of time before beginning to close the air seems to depend on how hot the stove is on the reload (or if it is cold) and how large the splits are. If the stove is already pretty hot my wood often chars enough after 10 minutes to mostly shut down the air with no smoldering.

This week I am off from work so getting a chance to really watch how it responds to different conditions. Great fun and cozy warm.

you're welcome. I will say however, if you are going to leave the door open even of for 1 minute that you Do NOT leave the stove unattended. The second you walk away, the doorbell will ring with a neighbor that is chatty or the phone will ring or your kid will need a diaper change or a butt wiped and you enter dangerous situation. I NEVER walk away from a stove with the door open NEVER. I have had one too many scares from doing that. Doing it the same way always guarantees very similar results. Its never safe to leave the door opened as your pipe may get overly hot. I say all that to say, do it the same way every time and you will get similar results.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We love it too. We have been up here for almost 10 years. The most beautiful Autums Ive seen after Maine. Winters can be rough but we manage. Great place to raise a family. Far enough from NYC but yet close enough to go and take in all that the great city has to offer.
Yes, please make sure you watch that stove. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.