Cleaned the Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Been looking at pics of creosote for years and figured I would post one. Just once. 21' foot un-insulated liner. 3 1/2 cord burned. Brown powder. Since I usually don't pay much attention to what comes out of the thing I decided to measure it this time. 3 3/4 cups.

IMG_0175.JPG

Reactions: webby3650
Thanks for the post BB. This just goes to show newbies such as myself how important it is to clean your flue and that a seasoned wood-burner, burning seasoned wood still has to do it too.

If that was all i got with a yearly cleaning i would go 2 years for sure.

I just went from brushing twice a season to once this last year.

Old knees on that roof just ain't what they used to be.

Reactions: albert1029
I just went from brushing twice a season to once this last year.
Old knees on that roof just ain't what they used to be.
Yeah we are all getting older i still have a ways to go but i feel it now to.

I plan to clean the liner in our masonry chimney on Thursday, weather permitted, will post a picture of the stuff coming out. I keep postponing it. I am not a hero on a sloping roof and much closer to 60 than 50, but I will get myself to it.

Been looking at pics of creosote for years and figured I would post one. Just once. 21' foot un-insulated liner. 3 1/2 cord burned. Brown powder. Since I usually don't pay much attention to what comes out of the thing I decided to measure it this time. 3 3/4 cups.

View attachment 163232
BrotherBart I am thinking about lining my chimney .What type of liner do you recommend ? Also will a 6 inch liner fit in a 7 inch square flue?

View attachment 163232

My chimneys have 7X11 inside diameter tiles in them and I had to go with a 5.5" un-insulated liners to get'em in there. Were it me I would use something like the Flex King HD that Chimney Liner Depot sells. Several other vendors like Woodland Direct sell essentially the same thing. No pimping for Chimney Liner Depot. I have had good luck with them, Hart's Hearth, Woodland Direct and several other vendors. Rockford seems to be well thought of here too though I had bad experiences with them years ago. Maybe they were just getting started.

Stay very far away from the two ply "smooth wall" liners. Or stop by and pick up the 21' one I threw off the roof into the woods in 2007. Well, less the six foot piece I cut off of it two years ago to stuff into the top of the meat smoker.

My chimneys have 7X11 inside diameter tiles in them and I had to go with a 5.5" un-insulated liners to get'em in there. Were it me I would use something like the Flex King HD that Chimney Liner Depot sells. Several other vendors like Woodland Direct sell essentially the same thing. No pimping for Chimney Liner Depot. I have had good luck with them, Hart's Hearth, Woodland Direct and several other vendors. Rockford seems to be well thought of here too though I had bad experiences with them years ago. Maybe they were just getting started.

Stay very far away from the two ply "smooth wall" liners. Or stop by and pick up the 21' one I threw off the roof into the woods in 2007. Well, less the six foot piece I cut off of it two years ago to stuff into the top of the meat smoker.
Thanks for your reply. I remember you mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you threw a liner in the woods. I wanted to be sure I didn't get one of them.

Yeah the two ply ones de-laminate. Looked good on paper. Not so much in use.

Expensive lesson learned.

Reactions: bholler
Yeah isn't that like almost nothing? Especially the brown powder type.
The recommendation by csia is clean at 1/8" of buildup. Under that i don't clean a chimney i just charge them for an evaluation and say see you next year

I just clean it when I can. Once a year in September or October now. Never know when I might not be able to get up there next time. And with the velocity that 5.5" liner creates it don't need to get any smaller. I did the whole install from the get go to be able to get it done in 30 minutes with one trip up for both liners.

The pellet puppy in the basement is on year three without a sweep of the 35' 5.5" liner. Just pull the inside pipe and suck fly ash out of the flex pulled through the thimble. It is only burned the few times I work down there in the winter. Turn it on. Work. Turn it off.

Cleaned liner today. 22 feet, top half insulated. Burn season was late Nov-late March 24/7.
Measured what came out less than 2.5 cup.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 131
Did my pre-season cleanup too. Was about 16 oz of light brown soot. Used to get more of the shiny black crunchy variety but things improved with the block-off plate and re-insulation job I did.

mail

Attachments

• IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Status
Not open for further replies.