Cleaner to use gas than electric in a Chevy Volt?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgepds

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2012
So my Chevy volt gets ~3 miles/kwh and 40 mpg. At $0.15/kwh and $2/gallon for gas, its just as cheap to run on gas as electricity

Now let’s ask the question if it’s cleaner to run on gas (from a global warming CO2 perspective) . The answer depends on where you are in the US. The UCS has done a study on this matter and asked what mpg do you need to achieve for it to be cleaner to run on gas than electricity; the higher the needed mpg, the cleaner the source.

Along the coasts the numbers are high (95 mpg in Ca, 75 mpg in the northwest, 83 mpg in New England) . In the middle of the country the bar is pretty low ( 35 mpg) meaning that they are the dirtiest producers of electricity

In any state with a value lower than 40 mpg, it’s cleaner to run my volt on gas than electricity

You can find the map here

How do EVs Compare with Gas-Powered Vehicles? Better Every Year “60 percent of American’s now live in regions where an EV produces fewer global warming emissions than even the most efficient gasoline-hybrid vehicle.”

http://blog.ucsusa.org/don-anair/how-do-electric-cars-compare-with-gas-cars-656?

Or plug in your own numbers here

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/electric-vehicles/ev-emissions-tool#.Vmh_FU2FPyM

Reactions: woodgeek
For my 2013 LEAF S in Philly, I got 78 mpg equivalent, or 140 g CO2/mile. I've done this before.

I buy local windpower (tied to in-state wind RECs), so I like to think its a bit better than that.

Mostly hydro and wind here and solar from April to Sept. Love driving an electric car.

We live in an exciting time.

We live in an exciting time.
I think that every day. First Rock and Roll and now high tech. Seems like a great time for a lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.