Cleanfire Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warmncozy

Nov 3, 2009
Southern NH
Last year I ran out of pellets in February (sorry...not a pellet pig :) ) and I couldn't find anything decent in southern NH so I ended up going to WoodPellets.com which is right up the street from me and bought some Cleanfire Hardwoods. I knew they were hot, but since I was burning crap pellets last year I didn't have much to compare them to. This year....I have plenty of pellets, but the balance of the cleanfires got mixed into my pile and this morning I happen to get to a bag and threw them in the stove. I can't believe how hot these are. I've been burning Okie's all winter (very dusty, smell like cat pee, inconsistent heat from bag to bag. I'll never buy them again) and these are MUCH hotter. Unfortunately they are also WAY too expensive for me. ($269 if you buy one ton)

The reason for this post is because I don't see anything about these pellets here. I might have missed it, but I'm wondering if they are another pellet that's bagged under the CleanFire name?

Maybe I should have done a search, but now that I've typed all this I'm going to post it. :)

I think I saw them for sale at Lowes earlier this year, didnt try them though. If 269 a ton is too much, how much did you pay for the okies??

jack56 said:
I think I saw them for sale at Lowes earlier this year, didnt try them though. If 269 a ton is too much, how much did you pay for the okies??

You might have seen "Clean Energy" brand....Lowes sells them, and name is similar.

jack56 said:

I paid $250 for Okie's in the fall because they were so highly touted I wanted to try them, but now I know that some sub $200 brands burn just as well if not better (and don't stink). I would still buy the Cleanfires in a pinch, but I can't make them my main pellet for that kind of money. They don't seem to vary in price either. Almost the same price in the summer as they are in the winter.

I got 3 tons in Dec. for $249 a ton with free delivery. I really like them, they burn hot and clean and I do plan on getting at least another 2 tones for next year.

Now I'm really suprised to hear abdout the Okies, I just picked up 12 bags yesterday to give them a try, $5.49 a bag, $275 a ton. If I find there just on par with Cleanfire and not a lot better I'll just buy more Cleanfire.

If you find a dealer selling Clear Choice there the same pellet as the CleanFires. Bagged for stove shops and such. Should be able to find them locally, If the price is right?

j-takeman said:
If you find a dealer selling Clear Choice there the same pellet as the CleanFires. Bagged for stove shops and such. Should be able to find them locally, If the price is right?

Thanks. There's a dealer in Hooksett that sells the clear choice. I'll inquire about the price and try a few bags.

Hello. Just wondering who the dealer in Hooksett is that sells them? I am in NH as well and was looking at woodpellets.com possibly for my next pellet batch. Still experimenting to see which ones give me the best heat though. I just found the LG Granules here in Bedford and they are offered on woodpellets.com and then I notoiced the cleanfire gives more heat (according to the web site). Thanks

BTW - When I clicked on the picture on woodpellets.com they looked really long..........like over an inch or so. Are they really that long or is it just the pic looking funny? Thanks again!

warmncozy said:
j-takeman said:

Thanks. There's a dealer in Hooksett that sells the clear choice. I'll inquire about the price and try a few bags.

The only local dealer I have wants $7.50 a bag for them(wow). So I will not bother trying them. If you do get some keep us posted on how they are and what they are charging for them?

Hi Meg,

According to the Clear Choice website Hearthworks carries them. I haven't called yet to find out since I'm set for the rest of the season. (and maybe I won't bother. See above post)

To answer your question about the length about the Cleanfires....no...they're not long. At least not the batch that I got. The one's that were long were the GreenWays that woodpellets.com also sells. They gave me a couple of bags to try out last year and some of them were two inches long.

FYI: I also found that the Cleanfires burned hotter in my stove than the LG's did.

FYI 2: I'm also in Bedford.

I have been burning cleanfire pacific's this year (softwood.) Pretty decent pellet-low ash and plenty hot. Unfortunately, I hurt my back over the summer and could not do my normal "scout and haul my own." I ordered them from pellet sales because they drop them right where I needed them in the garage. They also had the hardwood version but I decided to give these a try. I would get them again under the same circumstances. With delivery, they were about $250 a ton.

I used clearfire last year, still have 35 bags left a mix of bags hard and soft. I thought only ok and not worth the money. The pellet size was long and would make me auger work a little harder. More important I had a lot of fines that constantly caused my Harman to do it's squealing thing, this year I'm on Energex green bag and love them, small pellet size and not once have I had the squealing issue.

I got 4 tons of Clean Fires in October delivered for $243/ton.
I like the heat, but there IS a lot of fly ash, & the Harman
"Speed Bump" is there every 2 - 3 days, for my chiseling enjoyment...
We burn Clear Choice Evergreen & Hardwood in our showrooms, & I may switch
to the Evergreen as my primary next year. This winter's experience burning the
Evergreens in 4 different Harman units - P43, Accentra Insert, XXV & a P61A -
has shown VERY good heat & a relatively small "Speed Bump".
They are also sold at 1.3 tons per pallet, at $289 per pallet last time
I checked the American Biomass website...

Status
Not open for further replies.