CleanFire VS Barefoot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandkj

Mar 3, 2009
Watertown, CT
I really like Barefoot but am having issues getting them at a reasonable price. Pellet Sales has CleanFire available to me but I have never burned them and the aren't available near me to try out so I'm wondering how they are vs Barefoot.

I don't know about Barefoots, but I burned 4 tons of CleanFire from Pelletsales.com and they burned nice and hot. They do have a pretty good ash pile in the front. However, it falls over the edge into the ash bucket in my Harman Accentra. There are usually a few clinkers in the pot, but I basically scrape my pot every day or every other day before I start it up after work. The clinkers come right off.

Last season I bought 3 tons of Cleanfire.
The bags had very little to no fines in them.
The pellets were cut maybe a little larger
than average with many over 2 1/2" in length.
They produce good heat with an average amount
of ash in my stove.
The Barefoots produced a little more heat
with far less ash than the Cleanfire.
Ymmv considering variables are different from stove to stove.

Never Burned Cleanfire Pellets But The Barefoot Pellets Burned Hotter, With less ash, Very Little Fines and No Clinkers After 4 Days, Compared To NEWP and GREENWAY Pellets They Are Truly Premium Plus Grade Pellets. :coolhmm:

Pretty hard to beat the Barefoots. They are one of the best pellets I have burned!

Burn nice and hot- very little ash- almost no fines. You will probably need to lower the heat setting on the stove. Rite up there with the Lignetics hardwoods, Turman 100% oaks and Hamer hotOnes.

I also liked the Cleanfires, Just not as much. The heat was ok, But the ash build up turned me away. I would only burn them in warmer weather if I had to.

On a really cold day I'd be dumping in a bag of Barefoots, Hands Down over the Cleanfires!

just my 2
jay

I have burned 5 of 6 tons of CleanFires. First off, the good --- NO fines. Now the bad --- they really don't look like wood. They are dark in color, nothing resembling the light wood color seen on better pellets. Too much ash, though nothing unbearable. Too many clinkers, somewhat unbearable. The BIG problem I had is that they are/were TOO HARD. The batch I got were way too compressed. My cylinder motor stopped COUNTLESS times, thus the fire went out, but even worse then that they broke THREE LoveJoy cupplings. I know have a much heavier 6 sided/contact cuppling which doesn't break, but the motor still stops occasionally. While some may say it is my unit, I have tried other brand pellets in my unit with no problems. The CleanFire pellets are/were too hard.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy them again. You probably only have an auger feed system and thus may not have issues if they are compressed too hard, but that withstanding I would rather buy something else.
~Jeff

I've burned about two tons of both of these pellets and they both burned very well. I actually liked the Cleanfires a little bit better because they seemed to burn a little hotter with no hard clinkers. I've heard that some people had some hard batches of Cleanfires that gave them auger troubles--mine were very soft. The Barefoots seemed to have less fines though neither had a lot. I just stocked up on Barefoots for next season because that's what I had available. I think both brands are good pellets.

From what I was told by one of the PelletSales.com people, the CleanFire are really NEWP, but put into a different bag for PelletSales.

She swears that they are the EXACT same pellet as the NEWP Tan bag w/ red letting (hardwood). Their bagged at the NEWP New York plant. I hope so, I put an order in for 4 tons. I burned 3 tons of the NEWP hardwood this past winter, and had no issues at all.

Is there more than one NEWP factory in NY? I only know of the one in Skyler and if thats the case, my step-brother works there so I'll have to ask next time I talk to him. I'm sure he could get me a deal but unfortunately, its 3 hours away from me.

mandkj said:
Is there more than one NEWP factory in NY? I only know of the one in Skyler and if thats the case, my step-brother works there so I'll have to ask next time I talk to him. I'm sure he could get me a deal but unfortunately, its 3 hours away from me.

Its "Schuyler" and according to NEWP's web site, that is their only plant in NY. ;-)

TboneMan said:
....Its "Schuyler" and according to NEWP's web site, that is their only plant in NY. ;-)

Yep, it's the Schuyler plant

So if CleanFire is really NEWP in disguise, I wonder if there are other brands also. An e-mail has been sent asking my relative that works there.

macman said:
From what I was told by one of the PelletSales.com people, the CleanFire are really NEWP, but put into a different bag for PelletSales.

She swears that they are the EXACT same pellet as the NEWP Tan bag w/ red letting (hardwood). Their bagged at the NEWP New York plant. I hope so, I put an order in for 4 tons. I burned 3 tons of the NEWP hardwood this past winter, and had no issues at all.

They get them from NEWP and from a plant in Tenn. So you get to guess what is behind door number one or door number two.

sinnian said:
macman said:

They get them from NEWP and from a plant in Tenn. So you get to guess what is behind door number one or door number two.

Well, you may be right, but the sales lady I dealt with (Sandy...very nice) was very sure that the CleanFire come straight from the NEWP Schuyler, NY plant....she never mentioned anything about Tenn. And besides, what would I care if they came from Tenn, as long as it was hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.