Cleaning 6" Stainless Steel Chiminy For The 1st Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlo

Jan 27, 2009
Northeastern, N.J.
I'm gonna buy the fiberglass rod set to do the job ....... http://www.fireplaceessentials.com/c7/Metal-Chimney-Cleaning-Homeowner-Professional-c93.html

My question is .... (bottom clean out) from the low point I have a 5' straight up run ..... leading into a 4' 45 degree bend ..... then leading into a 13' straight up run to the top of the ss chiminy. Will the regular rods that this set comes with be able to bend at that 45 degree section and then continue to go up to clean the chiminy w/o breaking ?

I see the website has flex rods I can use that I'm certain can bend, but they cost $22 each 4' section (very expensive). The regular kit gives me all the length I need for $60. Does anyone know if the regular kit is flexible enough to navigate a bend of 45 degrees ?

I not sure exactly what your setup looks like, but I can run a brush all the way from the top down through the jog into the stove.
You do need to give the rod a firm push, but it's not too hard. BTW the rods I have I think I got them form Lowes.

Attachments

• Picture 143.jpg
    Picture 143.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 452
Fiberglass rod while flexible will split or fracture on a 45 deg. bend, wiped out 3 of them last winter. The poly rods are the ones you want for that type of bend. Those fiberglass filaments will go right through a glove.

Thanks for the responses. My bend is about 35 degrees, not 45 degrees ...... One of you guys says yes the other says no ..... hmmmm , maybe I'll just buy the cheap fibergalss rods and try it. If it breaks I'll buy the poly's.

Status
Not open for further replies.