cleaning a catalytic combustor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozarkjeep

Nov 6, 2006
earth stove BV4000C

removed the 2 seperate honeycombs from the steel housing.

Where do I buy the packing, gasket stuff around them?
Ive seen a link posted for it before, seems like it was $8.50

I cant find the link.

I plan to soak in boiling water/vinegar, then rinse, replace surrounding gasket and reinstall.

WHAT is this gold dust that is in here?

GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im rich!
now I can pay for the stainless flu! or maybe even make a payment on a new cat combuster unit.

Attachments

• cat-1-smaller.jpg
    cat-1-smaller.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 638
  • cat-2-smaller.jpg
    cat-2-smaller.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 683
cat units themselves.

Attachments

• cat-3-smaller.jpg
    cat-3-smaller.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 630
Those are expensive combustors take some of the gasketing out of the grove and try to measure it also measure the grove once you figure out what size, a lot of hardware stores like Ace Aubushon have gasketing also Home Crapo

the vinigar amd boiling water will probably do the trick compressed air and possibly pipe cleaners Looks like they have not been cleaned for quite some time I clean mine at the start of the seacon and mid season that's why I expect them to last over 5 years and I get top preformance from my stoves

I found the combuster units for $203 here:

http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/

thats the cheapest ive seen them, does anyone have a cheaper source?

Thanks!

EDIT

oops, they list 2 for my stove, pre 1990, and post 1990, My stove has the shorter combuster, in a deeper housing with a metal spacer.

maybe a previous owner was a cheap as I am.

elkimmeg said:
Those are expensive combustors take some of the gasketing out of the grove and try to measure it also measure the grove opnce you figure out what size a lot of hardware stores like Ace Aubushon have gasketing also Home Crapo

the vinigar amd boiling water will probably do the trick compressed air and possibly pipe cleaners Looks like they have not been cleaned for quite some time I clean mine at the start of the seacon and mid season that's why I expect them to last over 5 years and I get top preformance from my stoves

What about oven cleaner on a cat ? Just a thought .......... any side effects to that? Or maybe putting in a self cleaning oven ?(sounds kinda pointless tho) any input to the thoughts thrown out there.

I've been told by Woodstock that the vinegar/water soak does more harm than good. If you use air pressure use low pressure like one of those air cans they use for computers. I suggest using pipe cleaners to loosen and a shop vac to suck the rest out.

Can you see through all the holes? Were they still working, any smoke out of the chimney?

Todd said:
I've been told by Woodstock that the vinegar/water soak does more harm than good. If you use air pressure use low pressure like one of those air cans they use for computers. I suggest using pipe cleaners to loosen and a shop vac to suck the rest out.

Thats interesting, its in the stove owners manual, and on SEVERAL websites from companies who sell them? I even think I saw it on the EPA website for keeping your stove effecient?

Has anyone else heard about the vinegar/water soak doing harm?

I guess ive got some more searching to do @ heart.com

ozarkjeep said:
Todd said:

Thats interesting, its in the stove owners manual, and on SEVERAL websites from companies who sell them? I even think I saw it on the EPA website for keeping your stove effecient?

Has anyone else heard about the vinegar/water soak doing harm?

I guess ive got some more searching to do @ heart.com

Woodstock said the only time to do the soak is if the holes are completely gunked up and you can't see through them. Otherwise you risk loosening up the prescious metals that make up the catalyst.

IM not sure how boiling water would loosen more than the physical abrasion of a pipe cleaner would.

Ill do some more checking before I cook it though, to try and find out.

thats the FIRST time ive heard not to boil.

Ive been searching a while, I cant fund much about this, I finally figured out, you probably meant the woodstock STOVE manufacturer right?

the owners manual for the fireview says:

http://www.woodstove.com/manuals/fv/fvCatalyticman.pdf

it says you can vacum it, it doesnt say anything else.

Where did you read the warning about vineger?

Todd said:
Woodstock said the only time to do the soak is if the holes are completely gunked up and you can't see through them. Otherwise you risk loosening up the prescious metals that make up the catalyst.

ozarkjeep said:
Ive been searching a while, I cant fund much about this, I finally figured out, you probably meant the woodstock STOVE manufacturer right?

the owners manual for the fireview says:

http://www.woodstove.com/manuals/fv/fvCatalyticman.pdf

it says you can vacum it, it doesnt say anything else.

Where did you read the warning about vineger?

Todd said:

I called them and talked to a tech.

Sud Chemie recommends using the Super Cedar to start the cat stoves. Prolongs the life of the cat. Blaze king also recommends. The cat reaches light off quicker. Less cleaning, 20% more life.
Thomas

ozarkjeep said:
even cheaper, $156 here for the 2", and 209 for the 3"

https://appliedceramics.com/default.aspx?id=64&category=388

I wouldn't necessarily go for the cheapest, but I would replace the CC so that I know my stove is working at its best for the efforts put in. It also sets a stick in the ground by which to track it's life and performance. Instead of the cheapest I would go for one that has great references on the board, works great and a lower fire off temp. These benefits will last much longer than a lowest intial price. Unless of course you strike paydirt and the cheapest is the best.

NW Fuels said:
Sud Chemie recommends using the Super Cedar to start the cat stoves. Prolongs the life of the cat. Blaze king also recommends. The cat reaches light off quicker. Less cleaning, 20% more life.
Thomas

what is SUPER CEDAR?

Ive read thru that sudie site, dont recall any mention of cedar?

got a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.