1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cleaning a chimney

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by wilburg, Oct 8, 2012.

1. wilburg

wilburg Member

Loc:
    Western Mass
    I have a Hartman Accenture with a half pipe up the chimney.... Should I hire someone to clean my chimney? If so, how often? If I can do it myself, how?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wilburg

wilburg Member

Loc:
    Western Mass
    No advice?
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Likely because they don't know what you can handle, but just between us and the millions who might land on this tread exactly how is your stove vented is it an insert or a standalone and how did the installer block off the venting in the chimney.?

If the venting is cleaned from below you may just pile up ash between the vent and the chimney and/or I wouldn't want to say sure hit it with a brush from the clean out only to have a mess come down and into your house.

What do you feel about cleaning from a roof?
  4. wilburg

wilburg Member

Loc:
    Western Mass
    Sorry, it's an insert. The liner runs about 5'-6' up past the flue.. The chimney is about ten feet above the roof line and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a ladder on my roof to reach the top of the chimney. The installer blocked off the chimney with insulation. (I think)