Cleaning a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilburg

Oct 20, 2010
Western Mass
I have a Hartman Accenture with a half pipe up the chimney.... Should I hire someone to clean my chimney? If so, how often? If I can do it myself, how?

No advice?

Likely because they don't know what you can handle, but just between us and the millions who might land on this tread exactly how is your stove vented is it an insert or a standalone and how did the installer block off the venting in the chimney.?

If the venting is cleaned from below you may just pile up ash between the vent and the chimney and/or I wouldn't want to say sure hit it with a brush from the clean out only to have a mess come down and into your house.

What do you feel about cleaning from a roof?

Sorry, it's an insert. The liner runs about 5'-6' up past the flue.. The chimney is about ten feet above the roof line and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a ladder on my roof to reach the top of the chimney. The installer blocked off the chimney with insulation. (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.