cleaning a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
What do you use to vacuum out your pellet stove? I used a small shop vac last year which was a pain in the you know what.. (clogs etc..) my bigger shop vac through dust every where....

so what can I buy for rather cheap of clean my stove.. I have heard of a certain type of ash vacuum but I can't seem to find it.

You can just go to the hardware store and get a super-duper filter for the shop vac. the one that comes with it isn't adequate for really fine particles, like drywall dust or ash, and it just blows out the back. I think they are classified as "HEPA" filters. 20-30 bucks at HD.

Buy some drywall bags for your shop vac. Your local Home Depot and/or Lowes
should carry them. Make sure you give the stove ample cool down time so
you're not dealing with hot ash that can cause a fire inside the vac.

zeta said:
Buy some drywall bags for your shop vac. Your local Home Depot and/or Lowes
should carry them. Make sure you give the stove ample cool down time so
you're not dealing with hot ash that can cause a fire inside the vac.

The only problem with this (as I found out), is that the drywall filter bags don't fit every model shop vac out there. I have a Rigid that I bought about 6 years ago, and nobody makes a bag that fits it...I ended up getting the HEPA filter mentioned above, and that works great...plus, you can shake the dust out of it after each use (outside, obviously...LOL), and they can also be washed out, dried, and used over and over.

Use a vac when you clean your stove. Pay careful attention to the burn pot holes(at least on a Harman, not sure about other stoves) and to clean the exhaust fan. I put a hepa filter on my 16 gallon shop vac, and once I empty the ash pan, vaccum everything else. Make the job pretty easy, and no exhaust gets in the house from the shop vac. After the job is all done, wash out the filter, and let it dry for next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.