Q&A Cleaning black soot from glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

There is a constant build up of "black" on window of insert, each time wood is burned. Is there something that can be applied to window, like Pam, ha, ha, to prevent this? Or is there a cleaner available that will eliminate the hard scrubbing effort to remove it? Newspaper and ashes from fireplace just is not doing it!

Answer:

There are several glass cleaners on the market that are very effective for cleaning woodstove glass doors. My personal favorite is manufactured by Heatsafe from Redmond, WA. It costs a bit more that some of the others but my customers all prefer it over other brands that I have sold in the past. Visit your local fireplace shop and give some of their glass cleaners a try.

Something to keep in mind when using stove glass cleaners is the fact that the heavier your creosote buildup is, the longer it will take for the glass cleaner to remove the buildup. Sometimes you have to use several applications of cleaner and let it soak for 2-3 minutes between applications.

11/2007 A google search turned up only this article and some other irrelevent sites when I searched for Heatsafe. However there are still numerous products out there for getting soot off easily. Another trick that alot of people use is to wet some newspaper and dip it in ashes and use that to scrub the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.