Cleaning Blaze King Ultra glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I'm burning about three splits of oak about four inches in diameter at most,two about four inches apart and the third straddling them.I'm burning them at the rear of the stove placed east to west. A super cedar gets them going and unbelievably to me the temp gets as indicated by the stovetop thermometer to about 650,and the cat probe reads close to 1500,I achieve this with the stove set at three,I burn about an hour this way and then shut her down to 1.5 sometimes 2 these splits burn and throw heat easily 15 hours. The problem is I get a chocolate coating on the glass in a V shaped pattern,on this pattern are some minute black flakes. This stuff is very hard to clean,is this typical with the BK,is it possible my oak is not fully seasoned? Three years in a covered shed. Should I burn these small amounts in front of the stove door? Any help would be much appreciated. This is my first cat stove and about six weeks old. Thanks in advance.

They dirty V pattern is pretty normal for BK stoves, especially in the shoulder season and especially if you're burning less than perfect wood. My favorite method of cleaning is to scrape with a razor blade window scraper and then just use normal windex (when the stove is stone cold).

Your smoldering wood in the stove, what would you expect? Your chimney is what is staying clean and thats what counts. ;-) Thats how it works once you turn it down. Its not very cold out, so wait till next year to keep your glass clean. To clean it up now, just fill it up with small splits....Pine etc... and run a good hot fire for 20 min then finish off the load on #2 setting. Glass should be nice and clean.

Yep...it is what is..normal even with highly seasoned wood on a long slow burn.
Don't worry about it..I also scrape the glass with a single edge blade in one of those cheap holders..works great.
Go in one direction when you scrape..and if the glass is cold lube with some water.

Woodstove glass always in dirtier in the Spring and Fall because you're not burning the stove as hot. You can clean the glass with a wet newspaper dipped in the ashes. If you do this fairly often you won';t get a thick buildup. do it when the glass is warm but not hot. Be careful using a razor blade. It can etch the glass and give it a path to crack.

north of 60 said:
Your smoldering wood in the stove, what would you expect? Your chimney is what is staying clean and thats what counts. ;-) Thats how it works once you turn it down. Its not very cold out, so wait till next year to keep your glass clean. To clean it up now, just fill it up with small splits....Pine etc... and run a good hot fire for 20 min then finish off the load on #2 setting. Glass should be nice and clean.

+1
I burn it hot, the last fire of the season. Glass cleans itself. Then sweep the chimney, empty ashes. Ready for Fall.
We open a few windows to keep the house below 75.

Status
Not open for further replies.