Cleaning Bronze Veteran Ground Level Flat Grave Marker Headstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is what I've been doing but cleaning it after I cut back the grass is just getting the dirt off it and then put some water on it and wipe it off with a small soft towel on the brass markers. I find the edge of the cement by putting my fingers under the dirt and then make a line with my garden trowel and then cut the grass back, that way I don't damage or scratch the marker.

Cleaning Government-Furnished Headstones and Markers - National Cemetery Administration

I thought that earlier on I made a thread on this but couldn't find it. When I take care of some flowers at the cemetery, I started cutting back the grass that had covered the markers.

Today after taking care of some flowers, I did another five for a total of 12 this summer.

Thank you for taking the time to care for those who passed.

Thank you for taking the time to care for those who passed.
Thanks @EatenByLimestone , it all started when I watched the video on how to clean them. They took time in their life to serve, I figure that I can spend an extra hour or so when I'm at the cemetery and cut back the grass and clean them off some.

The last two weeks have been busy around here so I haven't cleaned up any markers since my last post. I'm still at 12 cleaned up ( grass cut back) but I still plan on getting a total of 20 done before the end of October.

Next year I plan on getting there early in the year and hopefully get 40 done by this time next year.

Today I removed flowers from some graves, I finally did another 4 Veteran Bronze Markers for a total of 16 this year. My next trip in, I plan on doing another 4 to 6 for a total of 20 or 22 this year.

3 out of the 4 today, the grass had grown over so much of it, you could hardly make out the names.

Before and after of a local pioneer. Between the oblivious groundskeepers and vandals, it is a never ending job.

LWRimaMonument2-2021-2.jpg
250144743_46d2055e-4b87-4427-bc6f-ce482700ef29.jpeg
250144743_4fccbbe4-d2e3-4746-a378-3107994c98e4.jpeg
250144743_9d180084-b018-4b59-aadc-4fbdc564fbc9.jpeg

We clean marble and granite with a commercial concoction by the name of "D2". Every so often we go back and apply another treatment.

Before and after of a local pioneer. Between the oblivious groundskeepers and vandals, it is a never ending job.

View attachment 316709View attachment 316710View attachment 316711View attachment 316712

We clean marble and granite with a commercial concoction by the name of "D2". Every so often we go back and apply another treatment.
Very nice, I'll be doing some family headstones next spring with D2. I had planned on doing it in the spring but it didn't happen.

What do you use for brushes and what type of bristles?

Very nice, I'll be doing some family headstones next spring with D2. I had planned on doing it in the spring but it didn't happen.

What do you use for brushes and what type of bristles?
Soap and water with a stiff bristle scrub brush (non-metal) We found that a corn whisk broom worn down to the stitching works well for the nooks and crannies, They will quickly wear sown and conform to the engraving. Lichens can be tough, but don't be tempted to use a wire brush that will leave metal residue that penetrates the porous rock.

The first photo above (before replacing the obelisk) is after a being scrubbed and treated every other week for about 4 months. Another photo taken just about 40 years ago is what we used to replicate the obelisk.

1697303569061.jpeg

By the way - vandals pried that geodesic marker loose a few weeks ago, but luckily we found it cast aside. I'll be returning with a bag of concrete to secure Uncle LW's legacy with a length of galvanized chain embedded within.

Last edited:
I cut back the grass on another six markers today for a total of 22. I usually cut it back more and then pour water on the cement and then clean it up but everything is pretty wet so I'll wait until next year and do it. Most of the markers I do look like the first picture or worse.

I'm pretty sure in a previous post I said, whatever number I did this year would be doubled next year, 44 is my goal.

Just some pictures with the names covered, my last marker I did today was a man from my old hometown, he won the Silver Star Medal, Bronze Star Medal and the Purple Heart.

He was one of the nicest guy you could ever meet (wife too) they were big supporters of any of our sports programs, youth or high school.

IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0876.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0878.JPG

Reactions: begreen
Cleaning bronze grave markers can be a meaningful way to honor our veterans. Try a mix of mild dish soap and water with a soft brush or cloth for gentle cleaning. If there are tougher stains, consider using a specialized bronze cleaner.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Cleaning bronze grave markers can be a meaningful way to honor our veterans. Try a mix of mild dish soap and water with a soft brush or cloth for gentle cleaning. If there are tougher stains, consider using a specialized bronze cleaner.
I was going to do a family members this year but decided on waiting until spring of 2024. I have some Dawn dish soap with plans to pick up a small bottle of Ivory too. I'll get a new toothbrush for cleaning the tougher spots.

Also, when considering respectful ways to care for memorials, sites like greenfarewells.com offer insights into eco-friendly options, aligning with honoring our heroes and the environment. It's a beautiful way to maintain these special markers with care and respect.

Reactions: thewoodlands