Cleaning Brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2005
I have a 6" metalbestos chimney . Last year I cleaned it with 6" round wire rush. I have read that wire is not good for stainless.
The box the brush came in says its OK. So this year i bought a poly brush, very thick bristles. I can hardly get it into the chimney.
It seems so tight I am afraid it will get stuck. Any comments on this?

Push it up there, it will come back out.
I had a hell of a time getting my brush all the way up the first time as well.

i think that crazy talk about wire being bad for chimmney's, but thats another thread. Babalu is right, just force it. If your worred, tie a rope on the loop and drop it down, that way if you get it stuck you can pull it from the bottem. I would expect it to be tight, that would have to be pretty good poly to scrub a metal chimney.

I only weigh 175lbs. i jamed it up about 6ft and it took all my weight to get it back down. I think i am going to stick with the wire for now. Maybe i will rub the poly bristles on the sidewalk out in front of my house to wear them down a bit.

Get your chimney warm then send it down that'll melt the end of the poly bristles and give you a perfect fit. (J/K don't really do this you'll ruin your brush) Don't ask how I know. And also while I don't care to debate this, but our company has swept stainless liners/chimney for 20+ with a round wire mastersweep brush. No detrimental effect on the chimneys or liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.