Cleaning Cast iron Surface

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ltlhawk

Burning Hunk
Nov 24, 2012
Pelham, NH
Hi Guys,

Today after cleaning the inside of the stove I was wiping down the outside with just a dry towel and I noticed that it has a slight white film that looks like streaks and I cant seem to wipe them off. Is there a trick or product that you can recommend to clean the outside of cast iron....? I tried just a towel with water, but that did not work. It also made me nervous about rusting so I used very little water and dried it off very quick.

Thank you

Does the WD40 smell up the room once the stove gets hot?

You may want to try stove polish. I used it on may cast wood burner made it look like new. There are several threads on here about polish vs paint.

No it doesn't smell. I use just enough to make cleaning easy, then try to buff it off. I use it during the summer to guard against rust (whenever it becomes visible), does a decent job. Its used on the cast iron face of my stove, which is painted matte black. Its not enameled so its porous. Ive read a couple brands of stove polish which say not to use on paint, at least the ones ive found. I didnt want to try it, and i knew wd40 is ok for paint. if its not painted, then go with the polish.

I am not sure if it painted.. The surface is very rough, but also very black, so maybe... thank you for the information..

Bear fat.

Wipe on, wipe off.

Status
Not open for further replies.