Cleaning Chimney from Inside House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pkalisz

Aug 4, 2009
Central Kentucky
I have a Pacific Energy Alderlea T-5 stove on the ground floor of my house with double-wall stove pipe leading directly up to a 10-foot ceiling; above the ceiling a triple-wall chimney pipe, about 7 feet long and with two 30-degree offsets, passes through an unheated second floor storage room and exits through the roof about 3 feet away from the peak of the roof. My roof is steep, and I would like to be able to clean the chimney and stove pipe from inside the house. Is it possible to install a clean-out tee or other type of access port in the chimney in the second floor storage room that would allow me to gain access to clean the chimney? If so, would it also be possible to work downwards to also clean the stove pipe from this second floor access port? Or, is there a simpler approach?

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it.

Paul Kalisz
Harrodsburg, KY

I just passed out. Take over guys.

One approach (albeit a potentially messy one) would be to remove some or all of the stovepipe between the stove and the ceiling support and run a brush up from there. The stovepipe you can take outside to clean. Or if it's easier you could remove a chimney section on the second floor and brush up and down. Usually stovepipe is easier to remove.

(He says as he draws an mustache on BB, shaves his eyebrows, and puts his hand in a bucket of warm water while cackling maniacally.)

I was just kinda mind boggled thinking about the mechanics of cleaning that pipe through something in the middle.

I thought maybe you'd just had too many beers, and my mind reverted to college. :lol: Agree that it's hard to shove a brush up and down from the side of a tee.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but we keep a shallow tray with about a half inch of ammonia in the bottom of our chimney cleanout. The fumes seem to dislodge the majority of the creosote which we simply shovel out when refreshing the ammonia. We still clean our chimney yearly but the ammonia does most of the work leaving us with very little creosote build up.

W_MaineGal said:
I don't know if this will be helpful or not but we keep a shallow tray with about a half inch of ammonia in the bottom of our chimney cleanout. The fumes seem to dislodge the majority of the creosote which we simply shovel out when refreshing the ammonia. We still clean our chimney yearly but the ammonia does most of the work leaving us with very little creosote build up.
????????????????

When I posted I was mistaking the stove pipe for a chimney. Couldn't the same technique be adapted for stove pipe? Perhaps setting the dish of ammonia in a cold stove for a few days to loosen any creosote in the pipe? I know it makes our tile lined chimney almost self cleaning....

Status
Not open for further replies.