Cleaning chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
I have a harman Accentra insert, and I was considering cleaning the chimney insert myself this year. The mating point where the stove pushes into the flue area is a small square opening. can I get a 4" brush through that hole? Is this the best way to do it? I was just going to push the brush up the 4" liner until it stops, then pull it back down, while holding a vac near the opening that i am pushing the brush through. I live in a pretty tight neighborhood, so blowing the soot out the top is not an option!

Yes, You can squeeze the 4" brush through the small square. I typically clean this way during the midpoint of the heating season since getting up on the roof with possible snow or ice can be dangerous. In the summer I go to the roof with the brush and hook up the vacuum at the square point on the frame with duck tape and seal if off and run it while I brush the liner from the roof. Hope that helps!

forya said:
I have a harman Accentra insert, and I was considering cleaning the chimney insert myself this year. The mating point where the stove pushes into the flue area is a small square opening. can I get a 4" brush through that hole? Is this the best way to do it? I was just going to push the brush up the 4" liner until it stops, then pull it back down, while holding a vac near the opening that i am pushing the brush through. I live in a pretty tight neighborhood, so blowing the soot out the top is not an option!

This might fit the bill....it's what I use and it's great....can be made longer w/ extensions.

www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-LintEa..._1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288659591&sr=1-1-catcorr

Sounds like a lot of work. I know you are in a tight area and have concerns. I saw a video on youtube where someone did the leaf blower cleaning, but kept the bag attached to the exhaust. Seemed to tame the black smoke cloud into a little gray fog. Might want to try this near dusk, or when the neighbors are away! Does a fantastic job in 5 to 10 minutes. My son in law does his from his roof top and has no problem. Do it after every ton and there isn't much of a cloud anyway.

I think going up on the roof will be hard. My installer left the original cap on that is screwed and caulked, I really don't want to cut it off, if I can clean it from the bottom.

just ordered the kit, anything I need to look out for when i do it?

forya,

I purchased a Lint Eater cause imacman recommended the product. He compelled me to do it. :)

It is better IMO than some of the other similar products and for an inexpensive tool has one of the best user manuals I have seen.

Anything to watch for? . . . . Yes . . . . as imacman and the instruction booklet stresses, DO NOT REVERSE THE DRILL and tape on the screw joints is recommended.

Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.