Cleaning Chimney with an Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

havermeyer

Sep 17, 2010
Central MA
Well, it was my first winter with the wood insert and now I'm looking to get the liner cleaned before the chimney sweeps get busy this fall. I had a sweep come over and he said he could only clean the liner if the insert was removed. He said because of the way it was installed, he wouldn't be able to do it for $100 that he quoted me initially over the phone.

I'm going to call the folks who installed the insert to see what they say but I wanted to post something on the forum first. Do you have to remove an insert before cleaning the chimney? The sweep was going to clean from the bottom up... maybe if you clean from the top down you don't have to remove anything?

-Andre

Do you have a full liner from the insert to the sky?

Looks like you can pull the baffle plate and bricks to clean from the bottom up - shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get it ready to sweep.

Mine takes less than a minute to pull the two baffle bricks and 20 minutes to sweep with the Soot-Eater.

Aaron

Without seeing the flue setup the only thing I can figure is that the guy wants to clean it bottom up with the standard stiff rods which won't work. Find ya another sweep. And be sure you take the baffle out yourself before the sweep gets there. Too many times they bust the baffle by not taking it out before the sweeping.

It may depend on how much deflection there is between the insert and the straight section going to the roof. Mine has a little dodge, which creates a slight difficulty with my flexible rods. Any more, and I'd have to remove it.

Hello....

someone's jerking your chain, sorry. I spent 26 years installing, selling, and cleaning. You open the loading door and remove the upper baffle, or bricks. Then a quick trip down and back up with a brush, vacuum, replace the baffle....job done in 20 minutes.!

Just called the folks who installed the insert. They want to charge $159. Hmmmm... I may have to start learning how to clean my own chimney :)

I just had my insert cleaned yesterday by a certified sweep and he told me the liner should be insulated and the installers should have done that in the install. He also said the liner was not within specs as it was too close to the old chimney it was in.

He charged me $165 to clean and inspect everything. My insert is inside and old Heatalator fireplace and the liner is around 24 feet. I was shocked at how much creosote there was after the cleaning. It was installed in 08. I cant get up to clean my liner as my knee replacement wont allow me to climb.

Was I over charged?

Hello.....We would have charged $125.00 before tax had your roof been average, but the insulation stuff is only necessary in seriously cold temps. The mass creosote could very well be from wet wood and cold burn temps. Try following the info regarding wood curing and burning smoke free in our website www.firesidehearthvashon.com

rogerandbridget said:
Hello.....We would have charged $125.00 before tax had your roof been average, but the insulation stuff is only necessary in seriously cold temps. The mass creosote could very well be from wet wood and cold burn temps. Try following the info regarding wood curing and burning smoke free in our website www.firesidehearthvashon.com
Your site wont load for me. My roof is metal on a log home and its a 10/12 pitch. He put his ladder up the side of the fireplace.

I dont burn wet wood, but the cold temps could be since I close down my damper at night so I dont have to put wood in it every 4 hours. This sweep says its not up to the sweep guild guide lines and it should have been insultated by the company and they are breaking the law by not installing one on new jobs?

havermeyer said:
Just called the folks who installed the insert. They want to charge $159. Hmmmm... I may have to start learning how to clean my own chimney :)

Same here! My installer wants $160 to clean/inspect also. I clean my own, very easy.
Check your warranty for the liner, mine says it MUST be professionally swept and inspected once a year.

rogerandbridget said:
Hmmmm I wrote this great and long response to your "insulation" question, but I don't see it. Could you tell me the type of liner you were sold and how tall it is (flex liner vs ridged liner and the length from insert to chimney cap? Thanks
I am sure it was a flex liner and the length was around 23 ft. I cant find the bill of sale to save me neck. Not sure if the sweep was pulling my leg on the insulation or it really needed one due to code.

He did say the liner was about 2-3 inches too long as it sat high on the crown and the installers didnt use the right type of cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.