Cleaning Clay-Lined Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
I've also never cleaned a chimney and I've got one that I'll need to begin maintaining. It's an 8X8 tile that needs to be cleaned. I'm guessing I can buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Products-16508-Chimney-Cleaning/dp/B000FKF7YO/ref=pd_sim_hi_12
and some rods/rope and do it?

My real question is - I believe my flue to go from the bottom of the chimney up and exit out the top of the chimney. My stove pipe enters the chimney at around 5' up. I've attached a rough diagram - not to scale.

What do I need to do to keep everything from falling below into the lined out space?

Attachments

• stovepipe.gif
    stovepipe.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 180
If there is no cleanout then not much. You need to clean out what is in that space because there is stuff down there already as it falls from the liner naturally.

My grandmother's chimney is like this. I end up going in should deep and using an old margarine tub to scoop it out. Another option might be a shop vac.

That brush should work fine so long as it's the right size.

pen

pen said:
If there is no cleanout then not much. You need to clean out what is in that space because there is stuff down there already as it falls from the liner naturally.

My grandmother's chimney is like this. I end up going in should deep and using an old margarine tub to scoop it out. Another option might be a shop vac.

That brush should work fine so long as it's the right size.

pen

I suppose I could cut in a clean-out? Or would you suggest just going the shop vac route?

I'd see how much of a pain in the rear it is first.

Any cracks in those tiles? If there are, it's time for a liner. Often times liners won't have a cleanout anyway so the new cleanout you installed may be sealed with silicone and forgotten about soon.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.