Cleaning "coaxial" pipe...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkSJohnson

Oct 30, 2013
Coastal RI
There has been several threads regarding cleaning your vent pipe. Evidently, some of you recommend doing it more often than the "once per season" that my Kinderhook manual recommends.

I bought a Linteater system that I had seen recommended here, but it just occured to me that it might not work on the type of vent pipe I have. I'm not sure what the technical name is, but it's basically a coaxial design that carries the air input in a pipe within the exhaust vent pipe (I made an illustration below). My dealer likes these setups as the incoming air is warmed a bit before entering the stove and it only means one hole through the wall.

But will a linteater-type rotary brush work when you're trying to go around the perimeter of another pipe in there?

We have some warmer weather of late and I thought I'd clean the vent before it gets cold again and as I've run about 1.5 tons so far....

Coaxial-pipe_zps5ce08507.jpg

pretty sure you have your exhaust and air intake reversed in you picture

Reactions: P38X2 and SwineFlue
_g
If that's the case, I guess I don't have any problem cleaning it, do I? ::Color me embarrassed::

Thank you!

Yep, your diagram has the intake and exhaust reversed. The linteater will go in the center pipe and work wonderful.

Thank you guys! That makes me feel better!

Someday, I'll be one of the people who knows more rather than less! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.