Cleaning Econoburn Tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a econoburn 100. Would like to clean the tubes. Are there detailed directions anywhere for this? For maintenance this seem more complicated than I would think, maybe its just me.

It is simple to clean,at least it is on the 200
On the 200.....
you have a plate that is held on by two nuts across the back of the boiler.Remove this plate the you need to disconnect the turbulators from the handle that moves them up and down.
Then pull the turbulators out as a unit,this can be done i did it before i fired my boiler to make sure i could do it.I have switched the bolts that connect the turbulators to the leaver with pins and clips to simplify the process.
Then i use the tool that i built on a drill to clean the tubes.I place a light at the bottom of the tubes and can watch the tool scrape the tubes clean.When i am done i can see the welded seam on the tubes.
Then replace the turbulators hook up the linkage,replace the plate and you are done.

Now having said all that if you have an inside unit there is some tin you have to remove to get to the plate on top,likewise there are roof panels to remove on the outdoor models.I have an outside unit inside a boiler building so i leave the roof panel off and am planing to hook up a rope and pulley system to pull the turbulators out.It can be a bit of tugging and prying to get them out if you leave the cleaning to long.

I have tried wire brushes,a tube cleaning tool i got from Mcmasters with no luck.The tool i made is the only thing i have found that works on the hard coating that forms on the tubes.

If you search the threads you should find some pic's of the tool i made.The first one lasted 4yrs then cracked. My next one was an improved version and cleans a little better.

PM me if you need pic's of the tool.
Thomas

It is simple to clean,at least it is on the 200
On the 200.....
you have a plate that is held on by two nuts across the back of the boiler.Remove this plate the you need to disconnect the turbulators from the handle that moves them up and down.
Then pull the turbulators out as a unit,this can be done i did it before i fired my boiler to make sure i could do it.I have switched the bolts that connect the turbulators to the leaver with pins and clips to simplify the process.
Then i use the tool that i built on a drill to clean the tubes.I place a light at the bottom of the tubes and can watch the tool scrape the tubes clean.When i am done i can see the welded seam on the tubes.
Then replace the turbulators hook up the linkage,replace the plate and you are done.

Now having said all that if you have an inside unit there is some tin you have to remove to get to the plate on top,likewise there are roof panels to remove on the outdoor models.I have an outside unit inside a boiler building so i leave the roof panel off and am planing to hook up a rope and pulley system to pull the turbulators out.It can be a bit of tugging and prying to get them out if you leave the cleaning to long.

I have tried wire brushes,a tube cleaning tool i got from Mcmasters with no luck.The tool i made is the only thing i have found that works on the hard coating that forms on the tubes.

If you search the threads you should find some pic's of the tool i made.The first one lasted 4yrs then cracked. My next one was an improved version and cleans a little better.

PM me if you need pic's of the tool.
Thomas

Cool thanks for the hints. Like the idea of the pins instead of the bolts. Yes mine is an indoor unit so when it was wired there is conduit on the outside covers making them a pain to take off. Also cutting the insulation didn't feel right. I am also going to shorten the bar that the turbulators hang from it is slightly larger than the opening for some reason.

Cool thanks for the hints. Like the idea of the pins instead of the bolts. Yes mine is an indoor unit so when it was wired there is conduit on the outside covers making them a pain to take off. Also cutting the insulation didn't feel right. I am also going to shorten the bar that the turbulators hang from it is slightly larger than the opening for some reason.

I had that same problem with the bar. It made it difficult to remove and replace turbulators.

I have used clevice pins on the linkage instead of bolts for several years. Makes the process much easier.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.