Cleaning exhaust blower in Englander stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
blower on the left has a little access panel, wondering if any englander owner removes this blower or not.
I am ready to clean stove using leaf blower from outside but would like to make sure this combustion blower is clean as it keeps making this random squealing noise.
For me to remove the pipe inside the house (which will allow very easy access to this blower) may not be practical because I would need to pull stove forward, trying not to go that route.

So, is it mandatory to remove this blower to clean it?

Sounds very un-practical for a homeowner to start removing stuff to get a good clean......

geek said:
blower on the left has a little access panel, wondering if any englander owner removes this blower or not.
I am ready to clean stove using leaf blower from outside but would like to make sure this combustion blower is clean as it keeps making this random squealing noise.
For me to remove the pipe inside the house (which will allow very easy access to this blower) may not be practical because I would need to pull stove forward, trying not to go that route.

So, is it mandatory to remove this blower to clean it?

Sounds very un-practical for a homeowner to start removing stuff to get a good clean......

If you are talking about the combustion blower on the left rear as the you face the front of the stove, just remove the motor and impeller working through the access panel to clean it. You will need a new gasket (Part PU-CMG) for the motor/impeller assembly when you put it back together.

See page 14 of the manual.

thanks guys...

I'm hoping this squealing noise will go away, otherwise may be the blower needs replacement.
When it makes the noise, if I push the motor or tap the blower housing the noise stops then it continues down the road.

geek said:
thanks guys...

I'm hoping this squealing noise will go away, otherwise may be the blower needs replacement.
When it makes the noise, if I push the motor or tap the blower housing the noise stops then it continues down the road.

I have shut down my stove before because the combustion blower was making such a high pitch squeal it was giving me a headache.

I took the blower off and noticed metal shavings so I bent the fins out very slightly and cleaned the blower. This worked great for about 2 weeks (Less than 15 bags) than it started doing it again, except not as long as I keep the stove cool it does not make the noise. I put a thermo on the stove to measure the output air temp. As soon as this air gets above 200 for a while it starts making the noise. Once it cools off it stops. I now run my stove cooler so I do not need to listen to this noise.

And yes it very obvious it is coming from the blower it self.

JLF001 said:
geek said:
thanks guys...

I have shut down my stove before because the combustion blower was making such a high pitch squeal it was giving me a headache.

I took the blower off and noticed metal shavings so I bent the fins out very slightly and cleaned the blower. This worked great for about 2 weeks (Less than 15 bags) than it started doing it again, except not as long as I keep the stove cool it does not make the noise. I put a thermo on the stove to measure the output air temp. As soon as this air gets above 200 for a while it starts making the noise. Once it cools off it stops. I now run my stove cooler so I do not need to listen to this noise.

And yes it very obvious it is coming from the blower it self.

Just started having the same problem with my exhaust blower motor making a very high pitched squeel. I thought maybe it was dirty but have made it spot less clean and its still doing it.
I'm going to call Englander tomorrow and see if they will replace the motor. Its so bad the dogs run from the room :)

Topshelf said:
.....I'm going to call Englander tomorrow and see if they will replace the motor. Its so bad the dogs run from the room :)

If you can be near the stove when you call, have it running and hold the phone next to the blower so they can hear it. They are great about replacing bad parts....is yours still under warranty?

Yeah still under warrenty.
Its kind of intermittent now. I used the shop vac on blow and tried to clean any grit out it a little while ago. Maybe that fixed it?

The burn pot also broke today. I was going to have the rewelded at work tomorrow, but maybe they will send that one also?
Thats not a big issue really but dang its starting piss me off

Is it a full moon or what......

YIKES!! The blower motor, and now the burn pot "broke"??? Or did a weld crack loose? Either way, I'm sure they'll warranty both.

macman said:
YIKES!! The blower motor, and now the burn pot "broke"??? Or did a weld crack loose? Either way, I'm sure they'll warranty both.

The welds on the lip on the back side of the burn put broke loose. Its a two minute fix for our shop welder so its not really a big deal. The blower motor is the one that worries me. +/- $140 bucks for a new one. It did sound better after I used the shop vac on it but it was still screaching on and off last night.

The up side is because I did an Uber job of cleaning the thing it was burning super nice last night.

Update

As usual Englanders Customer Service is second to none. Spoke to them yesterday and they are sending out replacement parts under warranty.
I have never delt with any other company that has this kind of no hassel, no problems warranty.

Yes I have had some minor issues with my stove but they have stepped up to the plate every time and IMO hit one out to the parking lot. Kudos to the Englander staff and management.

Status
Not open for further replies.