Cleaning Flat Plat Heat Exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwood

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2009
Western VA
Bell and Gosset sent the following instructions for cleaning their flat plate heat exchanger. Thought I'd pass them on.

"Some suggested methods of cleaning either side of the heat exchanger are listed below: Back flush with a high pressure stream of hot water to remove loose deposits. Circulating hot wash oil or light distillate will usually effectively remove sludge or similar soft deposits. A 5% solution of Phosphoric Acid or Oxalic Acid may be effective in removing more stubborn deposits. For optimum results, the solution should be in a back flush type flow pattern. Rinse heat exchanger with clean fresh water after use."

Not sure what they mean by a hot wash oil, or a light distillate. I'm going with the oxalic acid as I have some out in the garage.

Mike

Do you think the acid would clean hard water deposits? We have high calcium,

I would think so wardk. Thats what I had asked the Bell & Gossett about when they sent me the above information. I emailed back about what the light distillate or hot wash oil were, but haven't heard anything back. I don't figure they are for hard water deposits though. I wonder if CLR might work on calcium deposits. In an older post Bob Rohr recommended Hercules Sizzle and I think DaveBP recommended vinegar. If you are cleaning the DHW side make sure anything you use is thoroughly washed out.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.