Cleaning from the bottom. Would you try it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, another post for me tonight.
Question for those who clean out their own chimneys from the bottom up?

Attached is a pic of the house....had a good friend fall off a roof and is now in a wheelchair....so I am not climbing the roof.
Anyway, have an insert, and I was looking for advice from those folks who clean from the bottom.
Do you think its too far a stretch to push the brush up to the top of the chimney?
From the photo, the insert is located on the first floor, and there is a small bend up to the top of the flue.
The liner is flexible, and all the way to the top of the chimney....was thinking about buying the brushes and flexible rods that screw into each other, but was wondering of some might think ts too much of a problem from the bottom up?
Thanks.

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 282
Haven't gotten there yet.

Get ya a chimney sweep that will do it from the top. About the same price as the annual service for a oil burner or heat pump, the cap and the pipe get cleaned and you don't fall off the roof. I would not dream of cleaning my flues from the bottom up. I want to see the whole situation top and bottom.

≠æœ∞ said:
i guess if u could actually work a brush up the chimli to the top, i'd pop the cap off & leave it. t'aint like rains gonna come down & into stove,eh?

And rain doesn't collect in a tubular rain gauge or a tin can sitting outside either does it Pook?

You can bet your ass it will come down into that stove. Buy a wood stove and give it a try. :mad:

That's a steep roof. Two different chimney sweeps I've seen cleaning, do bottom up, I guess to stayoff roofs. They use very flexible rods. There was a recent discussion about these rods. The problem will be cleaning the cap. If it has a screen it will clog up very quickley. I use fiberglass, rods cleaning from the top down.

@ said:
got a similar setup & if rain comes down it goes to bottom of chimny & maybe washes it but it dont drain onto/into stove=gravity ≠genius

It does if you have a liner straight into the top of a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.