Cleaning glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckster

Burning Hunk
Jan 21, 2012
Sussex County NJ
Do any of you guys clean your glass when it's hot. (Not ass I said glass.) I used to with a warm damp rag because it was handier than shutting the stove down to let it cool. It worked good but I stopped doing it for fear of ruining something. Any thoughts on this.

Don't use a wet rag when hot, I use fine steel wool #0000 to clean mine when hot. Using a wet rag when hot will etch the glass.

OK Thanks guys. No more damp cloth when it's hot.

The ash helps to loosen they tough stuff then wipe with a clean damp towel.

mepellet, why dipped in ash? Won't they leave the glass still dirty?
I've been wondering the same thing as the OP about how to clean when hot.

I dip in the ash a little bit and rub all over the glass pretty good. Then take a clean damp paper towel to clean up the mess, then a clean dry paper towel to dry the glass and remove any remaining residue from the ash. Works great. Many people do this and I believe it is even mentioned in at least one stove manual.

Reactions: ducker
I dip in the ash a little bit and rub all over the glass pretty good. Then take a clean damp paper towel to clean up the mess, then a clean dry paper towel to dry the glass and remove any remaining residue from the ash. Works great. Many people do this and I believe it is even mentioned in at least one stove manual.

+1
Exactly.. that stuff gets baked on there pretty good. And it breaks it all up. Do the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.