cleaning glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damp paper towel / cloth dipped in cool ashes

Damp newspaper or paper towel if it's just fly ash.

Damp newspaper or paper towel dabbed in a bit of ash if the glass is blackened.

If it's really bad you can burn it off on the next hot fire.

I use Windex on a paper towel. Takes a few seconds. What am I missing here? Why does this seem to be such a problem?

I use Windex on a paper towel. Takes a few seconds. What am I missing here? Why does this seem to be such a problem?
Try the ashes.....I was like "What ??....ashes ???" before I tried

I'm cheap....ashes are free, and they are right there....once I'm crouched down in front of the stove, it's a little tough gettin' back up and grab supplies....too many knee surgeries

A good hot burn with the secondaries raging. When I shut it down and let it cool, I use Meeco's Red Devil 701 stove glass cleaner. Before I found the glass cleaner, I would used Windex and a single edge razor blade to get the corners.

I tell you what why dont all of you come to ALABAMA help clean the glass an you all can have all the BEER an BBQ you can hold . deal

Get it while its hot. I the stove is at 1-200 a wet paper towel takes it right off. If you let it cool try the other many options above. Rutland makes a glass cleaner that works great if needed.

A good hot burn with the secondaries raging. When I shut it down and let it cool, I use Meeco's Red Devil 701 stove glass cleaner. Before I found the glass cleaner, I would used Windex and a single edge razor blade to get the corners.
Never needed anything other than a paper towel. Razor blade?

Water left smears.
Sorry... I always follow a damp paper towel with a dry one to prevent smearing. Learned that with my pellet stove. Using only a damp paper towel did leave me with smears. I use one square ripped in half. One damp and one dry. 10 seconds later... Crystal clear glass.

Reactions: F4jock
It was my first fire i cut the air down to the lowest setting trying to be careful with the first start up i guess. I am new at this

Status
Not open for further replies.