Cleaning Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boisblancboy

Apr 26, 2009
Northern Michigan
What do you guys do to clean the really stubborn creosote on the glass? Just wanted to hear all the different techniques everyone uses or tricks. Thanks

If the stove is relatively cool in the morning after an all night burn (around 250F stove top temp), I just open the door and wipe it down with some good, thick paper towels that I've sprayed 4 or 5 squirts of glass cleaner on. This takes everything off. Some use a damp rag. Some use newspaper dipped in ashes.

As prior posted, just a damp rag when the stove doesnt have a raging fire cleans off my glass front easily enough. If it's completely out/cold, I'll use glass cleaner and make sure to clean off any residual cleaner w/ water.

paper towel, windex dip the wet paper towel into the cooled ashes, use as a mild abbrasive. Follow up with paper towel and windex only.

Don't try to clean it off. Light a fire. It should burn off if your stove is running right and your wood is dry.

I use the rutland glass cleaner, although I have never tried just using the ashes so I can't comment on the difference. Works great and at the rate I'm using it, the bottle should last me at least 5-8 years. I always do this when it's cold.

I also give it a quick swipe with the welding gloves I use for stoking whenever I open the doors and they aren't blazing hot, just to get the big stuff off.

I did a search here and found an older thread with many posts on this topic.
During this 1st week of stove running I had a residue which would not come of with any common stuff
around the house ie wet towel with ash, windex, newpaper w/ vinegar.
Went and got some Rutland glass cleaner that was recommended and it worked like a charm - but now with hotter fires it is
staying cleaner.

I like to clean the glass on my stove every time I use it. Since I don't burn 24/7, that is every day in the Winter. I started using glass cleaner, but I read somewhere that certain chemicals aren't a good idea to use. I took the advice of others on this site and now I use plain water and paper towels on the cold glass. My stove creates a hard to remove creosote residue in the lower corners and ash residue on the rest. For the difficult spots (corners), I gently use 0000 steel wool and it works great. I can't comment regarding whether or not it is bad for the glass, but I don't see any wear or scratches and it makes my life easier.

The reason I ask is the stove I have been using at the place I rented, I cant seem to get the glass very clean. If I let it burn hard for a few hours it does clean up to a certain extent. When the stove was cold I tried using windex and a couple other cleaners, but I couldnt get some of the stubborn stuff to even come off. I had an idea of using a razor blade to scrape it off, but wasnt sure if that was a good idea or not.

boisblancboy said:
The reason I ask is the stove I have been using at the place I rented, I cant seem to get the glass very clean. If I let it burn hard for a few hours it does clean up to a certain extent. When the stove was cold I tried using windex and a couple other cleaners, but I couldnt get some of the stubborn stuff to even come off. I had an idea of using a razor blade to scrape it off, but wasnt sure if that was a good idea or not.

In my opinion, the super fine steel wool does the trick quickly and with little effort.

I rarely have dirty glass but when I do I spray a paper towel with Rutland and place it on the glass. allow it to soak for a few minutes and wipe it off. Then use clean water to remove any residue.

boisblancboy said:

I use a razor blade scraper and it works pretty good...just got to be careful and not scratch the glass.

For us folk with large zero clearance fireplaces who always have creosote no matter how hot we burn I have tried every suggestion posted on this forum. I've only found one product that truly works. Its called "Clear Flame" made by imperial and it comes in a windex-like spray bottle. A little more viscous than windex it works very well. You can find it by googling the name. If burning it off or Rutlands works for you great! but IMHO this works the best.

SPED said:
I use the rutland glass cleaner, although I have never tried just using the ashes so I can't comment on the difference. Works great and at the rate I'm using it, the bottle should last me at least 5-8 years. I always do this when it's cold.

Same here; that glass cleaner/conditioner is excellent stuff...

I dip a wet paper towel in the ash wipe the glass down. Simple and effective.

Rutland glass cleaner for me. Works like a charm and is safe to use on the ceramic glass.

Steve

boisblancboy said:
What do you guys do to clean the really stubborn creosote on the glass? Just wanted to hear all the different techniques everyone uses or tricks. Thanks

I just run my fire good and hot for a while and the schiz burns off.

PA. Woodsman said:
SPED said:

Same here; that glass cleaner/conditioner is excellent stuff...
I couldn't find the Rutland stuff with conditioner but the plain Rutland stuff is junk so I tossed it. For the stubborn stuff and as a pre-cleaner I use a damp paper towel and ashes. I then use a bit of Imperial Clear Flame and follow up by polishing it with Imperial Gas Fireplace Glass Cleaner which is a paste and has a conditioner. The conditioner goes on slick like car wax and seals the glass, keeping it cleaner for longer and makes the next cleaning easier.

http://www.imperialgroup.ca/product.cfm?navcategory=5&category=16&product=363

Before I'd try the razor blade I simply take some newspaper and dampen it (don't soak it) and then just dip it into the ashes in the stove. It is amazing how much this will clean. You can finish with windex if you want but we usually don't have to. But then we've only cleaned our glass 2 or 3 times in the 2+ years we've had this stove.

Generally wet newspaper and a bit of fine ash will take off most anything you'll build up on the stove . . . if running it up and getting it hot hasn't already cleaned it. On occasion I'll run across a smidge or two that is a bit stubborn . . . once in a blue moon . . . and in those cases I've taken a straight razor to that one small section and gently scraped the gunk off . . . pretty rare event though since the heat and newspaper/ash work so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.