Cleaning Harman Advance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick5472

Oct 19, 2008
Columbia, MD
I am getting the Harman ready for the season. I just wondered if it was recommended to paint the baffle plates and heat exchanger plates after cleaning and removing any rust? I usually just wire brush these. Thanx for any info.

Some people have and do but IMO it is not necessary. Soon enough it will be recovered in ash. Your baffles look fine to me here in KY. Mainly the ones who do are rebuilding stoves and stuff pretty them up etc. I guess it's up to you and what you want.

A small amount of surface rust will not hurt thick plate steel.

Yeah I get minor specks but don't ever bother painting. Not worth it imo.

Hello

When I refurbish the stoves I always paint them to make them look factory fresh. When I clean the stoves, after using the wire wheel on the drill driver, I spray them with high temp industrial "Dry Moly" spray.

Last edited:
Hello

When I refurbish the stoves I always paint them to make them look factory fresh. When I clean the stoves, after using the wire wheel on the drill driver, I spray them with high temp industrial "Dry Moly" spray.
Don

What areas of the stove do you spray, I lubricate the hinges but nothing more.

Don

What areas of the stove do you spray, I lubricate the hinges but nothing more.

I spray the Impeller blades on the combustion blower after I wire wheel them to keep them from rusting and also helps keep the ash from sticking.
Also I spray the the brick backing and baffle plates behind it after I clean them and wire brush them. It keeps them from rusting and also keeps the air flowing better because the plates are real slick from the Dry Moly.

Reactions: twodogs02 and rafmt
Status
Not open for further replies.