Cleaning Harman XXV - Do you......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Teeravis1,

I think there is something wrong with either your pellets or your stove.

My ashpan fills up about once per ton (that's 50 bags). I burn Energex, which I think must be one of the finest pellets there is (LOW ash and high heat). But filling up as fast as you are sounds crazy even with other pellets. And as far as all the soot in your house, stuff falling out when you open the door, soot on the BACK of the stove, and on stuff 5-6 feet away, all of that is totally foreign to me. My Harman XXV produces NOTHING like that. I don't think it's your vacuum filter, but your stove or maybe your pellet. My stove is in the kitchen, and except for a little dust from when I dump the pellets, there is NO debris at all coming from my stove.

For reference, I also clean as my dealer/installer told me: I scrape the pot only about once per bag (1-2 times per day), with the stove still running. Like you I wear a glove for this, and preferably a long sleeve, though it can be done with a bare hand. I do not scrape the exchanger daily. Like you, I shut down cold once a week (it has to be cold !!) and scrape, vacuum, and make sure all the junk baked onto the pot is gone.

I hope you can find out what is going on.....

teeravis1 said:
I think I went through 15 or 16 bags in those six days. Feed set at about 3.5 to 3.8 and temp set at 75 to 78 depending on the weather. I run my dist. blower fan as high as it goes, knob and switch on high , room temp.

I'm going to get some new filters for my vac monday then I will clean the stove monday night. Hope that is the trick.

Hi Teeravis,

That seems like an awful lot of bags in that amount of time. I run my feeder on 2 as to mimic what the dealer said, "to starve the stove". It'll still bring your temp up to the room temp you set it at, but cut back on the feeder and see if that helps cut down how much you're going through.

How often should the exhaust pipe from the back of the stove be cleaned out? I got my stove this year (early spring) and only ran about 10 bags before getting it going, but I went outside to look at the pipe coming through the wall and after tapping on it, noticed some soot. Just wondering how often everyone else does theirs.

Thanks!

Scrap the pot when I clean the glass, about every two weeks or so.
Never ever dumped the ash pan yet. 45 bags so far.
Runs like a ***** ape.
burn natures heat with fines and all dumped in.
The one ton cleaning is comming up soon, which will include the complete exchanger clean, ash pan dump, comb. blower, exhaust vent, probe, igniter, etc. clean.
Harmon stoves are the best as far as maintenance goes.
this has been a truely set it and forget stove for me.

fico720 said:
How often should the exhaust pipe from the back of the stove be cleaned out? I got my stove this year (early spring) and only ran about 10 bags before getting it going, but I went outside to look at the pipe coming through the wall and after tapping on it, noticed some soot. Just wondering how often everyone else does theirs.

Thanks!

fico, my dealer suggested once a year, so that's what I'm doing. I had a chimney sweep come out this summer to clean my 2-story high chimney pipe. It wasn't bad but did have some soot in it. I plan to have the same thing done next summer.

harman accentra insert - i've taken to a full cleaning on Saturdays and didn't scrape the burn pot once this week. There is some difference but it's kind of difficult to scrape the burn pot real well with all those coals in there. I just get it right once a week. I do get lots of ash, almost a full pan after a week. Accentra insert pan may be smaller than yours

Status
Not open for further replies.