Cleaning Harmon xxv tc...and settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MeghonFire

Jan 9, 2016
Maine
hi does anyone here have the newest Harmon XXV tc? This is the one with the touch screen. I'm wondering how often I need to clean out the back of the stove. It's in a tight corner and hard to reach. Also the manual doesn't really explain how to take the back off. There are screws, but the manual says something about thumb screws, which I don't see...I'm burning hardwood pellets, probably gone through 1/2 ton or less so far.

Finally any advise on settings? I have the stove on thermostats mostly because it's in our kitchen and it gets hot in there. I wasn't sure if that's a problem since the stove turns off a lot and runs low much of the time.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_20171127_230423.jpg
You should have 2 side panels one on each side held by 2 screws. You can access most from the side panels. Facing the stove in front. The left panel will get you to the combustion fan clean out, two thumb screws holding it in, un tighten then twist out of the locking pins then wiggle it out nice and easy don't bend the fan blades. Take a putty knife and scrape under the blades, then a paint brush and brush the blades to get any ash off. Replace opposite of removing take your time. The right panel is the access to your fines box very important to clean, cause it will stop your pellet feeding when it gets packed. After your panel is off look upward you will see a vertical door with a hinged out top, and a thumb screw at the bottom. Unscrew the thumb screw about half to three quarters, push up on the door and pull out. Vaccum all the sawdust out of this compartment. Be careful when putting the door back on make sure the slit at the top sits in it's place before re tightning the thumb screw, the stove won't feed with improper installment. These are the two main things on this stove to clean. If you do this after every ton burned you should be good with no issues, don't forget to clean your pipes out at the same time. I would turn the feed rate down to 25 to 30 percent on these stove the defualt is way to high. Try it if you don't like it then re adjust. That stove should not be shutting down, but only to a very low flame. If you auto light your stove, once it is burning go to your settings and switch it to manual, then it should only go to a low flame. If you go to shut down, don't forget to set your stove back to auto or it won't light. Always unplug your stove before panel access.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeghonFire
Wow, ,thank you! The manual is useless. It doesn't mention fines box anywhere. I cleaned the fan today, might brave the fines box soon. I didn't get the fan super clean (it was still brown, not silver) think that is ok? It's a very tight hard to reach spot for me. Do you use a very small paint brush?

Your welcome. I own the older version of your stove 2014. Yes any soft brissel brush will do, your not gonna get it shiny clean just enough to where the ash will not create less air flow and carbon off the blades. Good job in getting that fan out, fines box is a simpler task. The manual is vague. I like my stove it has been very reliable but i keep mine clean clean clean! The only thing i have replaced is the igniter, it was still functional after 3 years just a preventive measure.