Cleaning Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
I have an Avalon insert in a zero clearance (I think) fireplace. The Avalon has a 6 inch pipe that goes at a 45 degree angle and then up into my 8 inch stainless steel pipe. The guy who installed it sealed off the difference with a plate. I was up on the roof today and took off the chimney cap to clean and rebuild it and shinned the flashlight down the pipe and noticed that there was some "stuff" (leafs, debris, etc.) around the plate that took up the space between the 6 inch and 8 inch pipe. I assume (and you all know what that means) that I need to get that out of there some how. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean that part of the pipe junction???? And, how do I prevent this in the future??? Thanks in advance!!!!!

No suggestion other than it might not harm anything as I doubt there would be much there. However, going from a 6" to an 8" is not such a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.