Cleaning "hidden" ashes out of my 13nc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Sometimes my ashe pile comes up over the little intake hump at the door so I am sure some ashes fall into the small holes. Any ideas on how to get them out this spring when i clean for good? Maybe blow compressed air backwards and blow them out the 3" intake on the back? thanx all

The thought on my stoves is that as soon as you have a good draft going once again, those holes should clean right out. In the off season, blowing some air through all air passages sounds like a good idea.

Do you mean that hump -----> '^' in the middle of the door? I thought that was the air wash vent....I rake the coals right over that and they melt away before right before your eyes. If your stays clean they're not plugged....but like suggested it's probably a good idea end of season to clean out with compressed air.

Couple of things. One is that the 13-NC is probably like the 30-NC in that the "doghouse" in the center front isn't connected to the 3" air intake in the back. It draws unrestricted air through holes in the bottom front of the firebox. So, holding the vac hose up to the hole in the doghouse would suck out any ashes or most of the ashes that might have managed to get in it.

Second, who in their right mind blows ashes out of a stove with compressed air while the stove is inside their house. Talk about making a mess. :coolsmirk:

Id go in the camping section at my walmart and get one of those little foldable camp shovels perfect size for getting right in the box of my NC-13
i scoop side to side and dump into my ash pale right beside it.

When I shut down the stove every week for cleaning, I get out the vacuum and just suck up the ash from that area!

Last year I went as far as removing the doghouse to clean it. At the bottom of the doghouse is a single air inlet hole, smaller than a 1/4 inch, so the whole thing was filled with ash. The doghouse on my insert is made of welded sheet-metal. My 13 free standing's doghouse is made of cast iron. I haven't removed that one yet to inspect it, as it still makes blowtorch holes in the burning wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.