Cleaning insert before first fire...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGriz

Ok, the new insert is finally in. Had to put the install off until yesterday and finished up this morning after a quick run to the store.

I have heard that the metal on the outside of the insert should be clean and free of any fingerprints or oils before the first fire to prevent discoloring of the paint. What is the best method of cleaning? Should I just use soapy water (dish soap) or is there a cleaner made for this.

Today is a perfect day for the first break in fire or two. It's going up to about 50 so I can open the windows and let her rip! It's supposed to get cold by Wednesday so my timing is perfect so far!

I'll post pictures and the rest of the story tonight.

Id just take a rag and spray with Windex or some other type spray cleaner and wipe it down then follow with a clean rag thats damp to remove any residue. dish soap may leave a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.