Cleaning insulation blanket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
So my chimney guy showed up this morning to seal my crown. So I thought, he ended up not havin the stuff but my liner had extended a few inches so he whacked that off an while he had the cap off decided to clean it. I jus got off at 7 this morning and I'm like sure go ahead bub. Well brain fart, stoves still together now my insulation blanket is pretty covered. I want to clean it but it feels like it'll rip pretty easily so I'm wonderin the best way to do it?????

How much creosote was there? And what type of creosote?

If there wasn't much I don't think I'd worry about it. Did the sweep make any mention of the amount?

Matt

Not even half a coffee can, small one. As to what kind, not sure! It wasn't shiney. It was flat black looking in color. Thanks for the fast reply

I'm sure somebody will be posting quickly to say I'm nuts, but half a small coffee can wouldn't be enough for me to worry about as long as the singlewall was connected properly. Even if it did light off, it would be contained in the stove.

Matt

There has to be an easier way!!!! That blanket was nothin but a pita. I'm not even sure if its covering the whole top of the firebox. Just ventin a little now. Last times I had the liner cleaned I jus pulled the stove out.

My flue guy usually disconnects the single wall from the transition piece then puts his vac in the "T" and then goes up to do his work. When he comes down he cleans the stove, to include the top of the blanket and does a stove inspection for me. I can access my blanket from the rear smoke outlet, it doesn't seem to be very fragile.
The amount of soot removed from your flue doesn't seem to be very significant, I get about 1" collected on the bottom of my transition tee. The blanket gets about the same.

A thin layer of very fine fly ash accumulates on top of the insulation blanket on my Jotul Firelight even before any chimney cleaning. Not sure about your stove, but I can vacuum the entire insulation blanket surface by reaching through the collar into which the stove pipe fits. My solution to the problem of avoiding sucking the blanket itself into the vac hose has been to cover the end of the hose with a piece of fine window screen held on with rubber bands. The ash is fine enough to go through the openings and the screen prevents chunks of insulation from being sucked up. You still have to use care, but complete disaster is avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.