cleaning liner with Drolet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n2brk

Sep 15, 2013
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hello and Happy New Year to ALL!

I am very due, if not overdue, to clean my 6" SS liner. It's all straight forward, except my Drolet insert makes it a PITA. It seems that I am supposed to remove the re-burner air tubes in over to get up into the top of the unit, where there is a piece of wool and a weight directly under where the liner joins the unit. If that's not enough of a pain, I read that the wool will likely need to be replaced once I mess with it.

It sure seems a heck of a lot easier if I could clean the liner from the roof with a brush and then drop in a hose attached to my shop vac to suck up the crumbs, no? Is this possible or should I just order up a replacement wool and get to work?

Does anyone else with this unit have a best method that they've found??

Thanks in advance!

Wally

Problem with not trying to remove the baffle and using the shop vac to suck up the creosote would be that you'd be sucking it off of the mineral wool blanket and in my estimation, probably ruin it anyway doing that.

I'd say grin and bear it, and get to it the right way. Order an extra blanket but then be as careful as possible and try removing yours. Who knows, it might surprise you and come out and you can keep the spare for the day that it actually totally kicks it. It doesn't need to look factory perfect to go back in.

pen

I have the Osburn line (both our stoves are made by SBI) just take the burn tubes out ( i leave the far back one in and number the other two so I dont get them mixed up when i replace them with a Sharpie) and drop the baffle down and leave the wool blanket alone , suck up debris and replace, I cleaned mine a few times with no issue to the blanket.

Reactions: pen
The mineral wool blanket should last a few seasons if taken care of, dropping the baffle is a pain to get the cotter pins out and then wiggle out the first two tubes, but if you are burning right you should only have to do it once a year.

Trying to shortcut these steps will only make it harder or break something in the end. The one tip would be to pickup a soot eater and do a bottom up cleaning.

Cant wait to see your review Mellow, how does it compare so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.