Cleaning metal bestos chimney flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
I have a Quad 3100 as my signature says and 6" double wall Metalbestos flue going straight up from the Quad through my attic/crawlspace out the roof. When I plan to clean the chimney, what is the best way to go about I guess the easiest it seems to me would be to disconnect the flue from the stovetop and then sweep the chimney, however, this doesn't seem like it would be the cleanest way. If I was to remove the chimney cap and go in from above, it would require some really squirrelly ladder work which I'm not that keen on doing myself...

The metalbestos flue is a two piece, 5-6' sections, is there a way to unscrew the screws between the lower and upper and then slide the lower section up so I can at least get some kind of chimney broom in there?

Just curious for future reference..

Jay

I seriously think that for a first cleaning that isn't all that straight forward it is advisable to have a certified sweep come out and do the job. Watch everything the sweep does, what difficulties are encountered, what the sweep does to resolve them and what tools are required. You get two things, an education and a clean flue.

Then take the lessons learned and apply them to cleaning it yourself from there on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.