cleaning my p68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snodays700

Feb 9, 2009
central maine
I have a few questions on cleaning my p68. I am tiring to take off the fan blade behind the ash bin. Is it just an allen screw that holds it on? i cant seem to turn it.

Also, I want to take the burn pot out, I have taken the bolts out but now its connected by the wire to the ignitor. Is there a way to disconnect the ignigtor?

I have cleaned inside the stove, is there anything to clean out back of the stove?

Instructions on removing the combustion blower can be found here. http://oatstoves.com/files/combustionblowers.doc
Even though the site is on the P45, it gives instructions on other models as well. I have not removed the fan blade, just cleaned it with an old toothbrush and little paintbrush.
I haven't heard of anyone taking out the burn pot; I am not a very experienced pellet stove owner, but I don't think I would do that....
The link to the main page of that site I spoke of above is http://oatstoves.com/training.html. Click on the MS Word option, Powerpoint takes forever to load.
I used the vacuum function of a leaf blower to clean out the venting, after I loosened things up with a brush. Do a search on "leaf blower trick" if you are not familiar.

newf lover said:
Instructions on removing the combustion blower can be found here. http://oatstoves.com/files/combustionblowers.doc
Even though the site is on the P45, it gives instructions on other models as well. I have not removed the fan blade, just cleaned it with an old toothbrush and little paintbrush.
I haven't heard of anyone taking out the burn pot; I am not a very experienced pellet stove owner, but I don't think I would do that....
The link to the main page of that site I spoke of above is http://oatstoves.com/training.html. Click on the MS Word option, Powerpoint takes forever to load.
I used the vacuum function of a leaf blower to clean out the venting, after I loosened things up with a brush. Do a search on "leaf blower trick" if you are not familiar.

that is a great site, do you know if there is any sites like this one, that have info on the p68?

I haven't found any specific to the P68. The oatstoves.com was the best I could find, and I looked pretty extensively.

snodays700 said:
I have a few questions on cleaning my p68. I am tiring to take off the fan blade behind the ash bin. Is it just an allen screw that holds it on? i cant seem to turn it.

Also, I want to take the burn pot out, I have taken the bolts out but now its connected by the wire to the ignitor. Is there a way to disconnect the ignigtor?

I have cleaned inside the stove, is there anything to clean out back of the stove?

What are you trying to accomplish? I have a feeling you are tinkering. Generally I'm into tinkering but you should be well aware and understand the consequences of not knowing what you are doing.

The igniter is connected to wires in the back which are usually attached to a black cap which is often sealed with RTV silicone. Break the seal and the wire feed forward. Disconnect the leads from the front of the stove. The igniter needs to be removed from a burpot unless you feel like holding the heavy burn pot in one hand while you disconnect with the other hand.

snodays700 said:
I see, Thanks i guess i will leave it alone, Thanks

Is there any extra other cleaning you do, besides what is in the manual?

The exhaust vent from the stove take-off to the outside air and possibly blowing out the vacuum hose from the hopper to the switch. Did you get the fines box?

If you are facing your stove, it's on the right side. Remove the side panel, and it's easy to see. There is a wingnut.
Underneath the burnpot are 2 wingnuts. If you take them off, you will reach the ignitor. Also, this area should be cleaned frequently with a vacuum, and also take your index finger and flick the ash down into the ash pan. This is another link about cleaning your stove. It talks about the P61, but it's definitely close enough to the P68. http://www.homewarmth.com/38&61cleaning.html
No, there is no lubricating the stove, but every couple weeks I do squeeze some powdered graphite into the hopper.

I kind of figured that was what he was calling the fines box, I have cleaned that out real well. I always called that the burn pot. I will take a look at that site thanks.
I did get the fan blade off, i had to use some wd40. I had quite a bite of build up behind it. It was nice being able to soak the fan blade in the sink, and clean it real good.

snodays700 said:
I kind of figured that was what he was calling the fines box, I have cleaned that out real well. I always called that the burn pot. I will take a look at that site thanks.
I did get the fan blade off, i had to use some wd40. I had quite a bite of build up behind it. It was nice being able to soak the fan blade in the sink, and clean it real good.

Burn pot is INSIDE the stove.

Fines box they are talking about is on the BACK of the unit behind the sheet metal, its the part with the nice shiney wing nut.

If you have build up that needs to be soaked to come off, you have issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.