Cleaning my stove glass.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishsniffer

Sep 25, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Howdy.

Wondering on how to clean some "staining" on my Yankee Bay insert glass.

I have been cleaning the stove all year using windex and paper towels. This last cleaning, I let the stove go for a few more bags than I usually do and there are some small silver dollar sized stains on the glass. They are brown in color.

I'm afraid to try anything in fear of etching the glass. I have tried really scrubbing them with some glass cleaner to no avail.

Any suggestions.

If they are brown, then they aren't pure carbon (which can be removed from burned pans with pure bleach) so they are something like baked-on sap. Dissolving that kind of substance would require soaking in something like drain cleaner, i.e. something strong. That isn't possible with a vertical door so you'll have to use something like a scouring pad, either the synthetic type or steel wool, which won't scratch the glass is you only rub gently, but be careful with the synthetic pads. Some of them are so course and abrasive that they can scratch glass. You should use a powder meant for glass or car paint, like rubbing compound. They contain something like fine calcium carbonate, like tooth paste, which is also a good possibility.

I suggested this in another thread, but.........

Magic Eraser does a good job, without scaring the Ceramic Glass. That, and Vinegar-n-water on a paper towel.

-Soupy1957

The ceramic glass is really tough stuff, I use an SOS pad dampened with water but not dripping.

Lightly go over the entire glass area and then wipe the worst of the nasty soapy goop off with a paper towel, then wipe clean with a dampened paper towel.

Been doing this for many many years.

There is no nasty stinky stuff and it requires very little effort.

I usually sit my Used SOS pad behind the stove and reuse it a few times before tossing it out.

I burn nut shells and there is always some nut meats in there too, this gives the residue a more sticky texture on the glass at times.

I have used this method on the Quadrafire with pellets too.

Give it a go

Snowy

Dip a slightly moistened piece of cloth in some of the ash, use that to clean the glass, follow with a damp cloth to wipe up what is left, then a dry cloth.

No need to buy anything you don't already have.

I use a glass scraper with a sharp (new) blade at a shallow angle. Then I dry wip the glass lightly with a paper towel. That's it. Leave no cleaning residues and no spots.

Then I have to put a chair in front of the window to block the very bright fire - It's too distacting in the dimly lit room with the Television!

RonB

I use a glass scraper with a sharp (new) blade at a shallow angle. Then I dry wip the glass lightly with a paper towel. That's it. Leave no cleaning residues and no spots.

Then I have to put a chair in front of the window to block the very bright fire - It's too distracting in the dimly lit room with the television!

RonB

The ash dipping is a great idea.

The ash is fairly abrasive and will accomplish the same thing as the SOS pad does.

I try to stay out of the ashes as much as possible as it really raised hob with my hands.

The extreme alkalye is tough on things.

Could use rubber gloves I suppose.

The stove top cleaners are also a mild abrasive.

I have used SOFT SCRUB, which is a mild abrasive cleaner thats made for doing fiberglass tubs and showers.

I use the SOS pads because they work and I can get several cleanings from a pad before the soap is all gone.

The biggy is to use a mild abrasive to scrub the crap off the glass.

I have never owned a stove that the "AIR WASH" did much in the way of keeping the glass clean.

The key I think there is having just the right amount of negative pressure in the firebox so that the air being sucked over the top of the glass is great enough to stop the formation of the soot on the glass.

My Prodigy will leave a light Dun colored film on the glass in just an overnight burn.

I do run the stoves on low though.

Snowy

SmokeyTheBear said:
Dip a slightly moistened piece of cloth in some of the ash, use that to clean the glass, follow with a damp cloth to wipe up what is left, then a dry cloth.

X3

Never used anything other than Great Value(walmart) Streak Free Glass Cleaner with Ammonia. Glass is as clear as the day I brought the stove home.

I use razor blade on glass, so why not ceramic.

exoilburner said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

X3

x4 Magic Eraser does work very well too, and is very gentle on the ceramic glass too.

I read somewhere not to use Windex. Supposedly it leaves a rainbow on the glass. Not sure if true or not.

I use a sponge with a green scrubby side. I use it fairly damp wrung out just enough to not drip.

I wipe the sponge side of the entire glass. I then flip it over and scrub any of the filmy areas.

If it is a real bad spot (low burn dirt) I will dip the green side into the ashes and use that.

I wipe it dry with a paper towel.

Works for me.

---Nailer---

SmokeyTheBear said:

I did this. It worked great.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Tried the ash on wet cloth.NICE! Cheap too. ;-)

SmokeyTheBear said:

Ash dipper...for the win. I use this on my wood stove and my pellet stove. Windex or anything with amonia is BAD. Trust us, put all your sharp objects and byproducts of science away and use a little mother nature - Moist paper towel and dip it into the ash. Waaalaaaa!

During my break in fires i used wood building materials.No plywood or anything but plain wood.My glass was a tan color but wiped off black.Why was this? Too low a temp.My glass was completely covered.I noticed the black start in the corners but i used the secondaries which didn't kick and poof.Covered,it was the 400 degree break in.Also secondaries wouldn't work at 400 but did at 300

000 steel wool works great on stains, and has not hurt the glass and cheap too, been using it for over a year.

For anyone interested about the Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

It it just what is known as Melamine Foam. It is normally sold as insulation.

I got curious about it one day at work and poked around the web looking for how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam

It can be purchased in bulk.
Available in 1" thick Sheet 2'x4' for $37.38 a sheet at McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#melamine-foam/=e7a8kx
And at lots of other places as well.

Just a FYI.
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.