Cleaning Napoleon stove with baffle.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryAnn

Nov 30, 2005
Plan on cleaning stove for first time before burning season starts. One story house. We are still confused on the baffle on top of firebox. We would like to clean without disassembling stove pipe.
Obviously, with this stove, you can't just use a brush and debris falls into firebox like some older stoves. It would collect on baffle I would assume. Is baffle easily removed on these? If we do remove baffle, is there an opening into firebox?

What model is it? I could give you a more detailed answer then. Usually baffles are removeable and once removed will give you access to the flue. Another tool I use alot when baffles are not removeable is a squirrel or noodle brush. You can usually get all of the soot off of the baffle with one of those and a vacuum without baffle or stovepipe removal.

It is a Napoleon 1100P. Chimney is Supervent, no elbows. About 10 foot total with stove pipe and chimney. There is the steel baffle on top of firebox, and a gray foam like piece that the baffle goes over. Doesn't look like there is any access to top of baffle without removing it.

Just read my stove manual. Not too knowledgeable on stove anatomy. I guess the baffle is the foam like pieces, which I guess are ceramic fiber. There is a black metal piece with small holes over the baffles. I guess we would remove this black piece and remove baffles and see if we can get to flue. The manual says to remove baffles once a year and clean above them. So I guess we will see if we can get to flue by doing this.

I called Napoleon for info on cleaning. They suggested removing all the bricks in fire box. Baffles do come out. They said black metal piece(some type of burner?) is not removable.

Status
Not open for further replies.