Cleaning Osburn 1800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Mac

Oct 10, 2008
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey folks.

Just over helping a buddy clean the Osburn, after he had a chimney sweep come in to clean the chimney liner. The cleaner had no idea how to remove the baffle inside the unit to complete the job by removing the debris that fell from inside the liner. Anyone have aany idea how to remove it and then re-install the baffle?

Thanks~

Johnny Mac

I'm going to assume it is set up the same as an Osburn 1600, so here goes:

There should be 2 rows of 3 bricks on top. 1 row each side of a center brace.

Gently move the front brick on one side forward as far as you can. This should give you enough room to jockey the center brick around and remove. You will probably have to lift up a little to get it in the right position.

Once the center brick is out, you should have enough room to remove the other 2.

Carefully remove the ceramic blanket through the opening left by the bricks.

Repeat on the other side and you should be open to the flue outlet.

Thanks Gary. I appreciate the reply, but I think the set-up for the 1600 and the 1800 are different, because we see three tubes, running from side to side, that have cotter pins, and they would have to be removed first. But I think once we get them out we can remove the bricks that sit above them and then clean the rest of the unit.

Thanks again.

Johnny Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.