Cleaning out between the stove and the T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg29

Sep 13, 2007
I have Quadrafire MT.Vernon that I bought and had installed in 2007. The exhaust runs straight out the back into the wall and out to the T, (which has a cleanout at the bottom) it then goes 8 or 9 feet up and ends. My question is how does one clean out the 2 feet leading from the stove to the T. I bought a sooteater (it will arrive Thursday) I've been burning Greenway pellets, and they throw off a lot of ash, I cleaned the cleanout on Sat. and it was packed with ash. Just looking for some suggestions.
Thanks
Gregory

Greg29 said:
My question is how does one clean out the 2 feet
leading from the stove to the T.

The section from my stove to T is a little shorter - 1 ft I think -
I usually duct tape a short piece of garden hose or other
smaller hose to the end of the shop vac and feed it up through
the bottom of the T. For those times when I pull the exhaust blower
motor to clean, I remove the section of pipe from stove to T anyway
so it's a straight shot to vac out it.

Greg29: I think your question is a good one and is something that I did not think about when buying my stove. These kinds of tricks like "zeta" mentions aren't things a new stove purchaser usually knows nothing about or thinks about.

I know my scenario will not help you but on my Advance I remove my combustion blower cover and have a straight shot through the exhaust chamber into the vent pipe. I have an Exhaust Sensor Probe (ESP) in the pipe, but one screw and it is removed and out of the way. Then I run my 3" brush through the chamber and into the horizontal vent pipe. I follow it up with my vacuum hose. So far I have not even had to remove the cap from my clean out 'T'. This turns out to be very simple to inspect and clean, but how hard this would have been was not something I even knew to ask about when I was looking at stoves.

Suction side of a leafblower...

take the stove away from the pipe and sweep from the inside out if you think you have a a ash build up you will also wan to clean out exhaust blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.