Cleaning Pellet Vent Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Checkthisout said:
FordMastertech said:
mkling said:
I actually just started using the SootEater for PL vent and it works better than any brush I have tried to date for cleaning my vent pipes. Just search for it in google and take a look if you haven't seen it before; it is essentially weed wacker for your pipes that you use your cordless drill with. It comes with 9 ft of rods but I ordered extra with mine so I think I have either 15ft or 18ft total. The rods are thicker nylon than my 4" brush rods and I think they have a 3/8" threading on the ends so they cannot be used with standard 4" PL vent burshes that use 1/4-20 threading. One thing I like about the SootEater is that you can literally replace the whips with weedwacker cable since over time the whips will wear down and need replacing. I could not believe the amount of ash and soot I got out of my pipes last weekend when I did my mid-winter cleaning. I am not sure what others think of it but I love it.
Just curious about the size of the threads on the Soot Eater rods. I have a Lint Eater for my dryer vent cleaning and the size of the threads on it are 5/16 -18. I see some places where you can just purchase the replacement Soot Eater brush and if the threads are the same, 5/16-18, thats what I will do.
If you could measure the threads on the rods of the Soot Eater I would be grateful, Thanks.

Dude, what are you thinking? This is a family website. You can't put stuff like that on here.
Sorry about that everyone. Thats what I get when using a coworkers computer to ask a question at work and letting it sit too long before I hit submit post. I didn't even know about it until the webmaster contacted me. Sorry once again, strange bunch I work with.

Attachments

• Linteater.jpg
    Linteater.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 374
I ended up going with the SootEater, I'll give it a shot at the end of my burn season and will use a Leaf Blower to suck out all the loosened-up soot and ash and blow it into the empty field next to my house. What I like about this method is that it shouldn't require me to remove the cap on the Tee, which I have sealed with high temp silicone, I'd rather not remove it if it's not necessary.

Just defending Chris here...

I AM an internet marketer. I can tell you I'm pretty sure that he is not. True, internet marketers are interested in getting backlinks. But the way I know that wasn't his intent is because the link he posted was just a url. An internet marketer would have been more interested in associating the link with the appropriate anchor text. That's the text that would appear as the link instead of the link just being a url to a page.

The anchor text is the keyword you're trying to rank for.

For example (and I'm going to link to Google for my example)

This is just a link:
http://www.google.com

This is a link with the keyword I would be trying to rank for:
Cleaning your pellet stove with a leaf blower

It's all about trying to rank for a certain keyword when you get backlinks. That's much more important that just getting a backlink to your site as a plain page address (url). So if he were an internet marketer, he would have used anchor text for his keywords.

But anyway, I really did have a reason for finding this thread. I'm going to attempt to clean my Whitfield Advantage II with my leaf blower. Have never done it before but my stove is 15+ years old and I'm getting a big fat lazy flame. I have a 3 inch pipe coming out of the house into a conversion clean out tee to go to 4 inches. I was planning on just sucking the ash from the horizontal part because the rest of my pipe flue is pretty new (just had it put up at the beginning of this year). Anyone know what I should use to bend around the 90 degrees of the clean out tee? Is there flexible pipe that will work for this?

Or should I just attach the blower to the bottom of my clean out tee and not worry about restricting it to the horizontal pipe going into my stove?

Thanks, Susie

Status
Not open for further replies.