Cleaning propane tanks for storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy I feel stupid, lol thanks ew.
That certainly wasn't my intention, I've just always found that animation amusing. And it's a good way to let people know they can limit their google search to a particular site, which often works a lot better than the site's own search engine.

That certainly wasn't my intention, I've just always found that animation amusing. And it's a good way to let people know they can limit their google search to a particular site, which often works a lot better than the site's own search engine.
Not a problem ew, I can usually do the work just need to be pointed in the right direction, thanks again. I thought it was quite amusing my self.

WARNING: working with flammable gases and their containers is risky.

The following was done with 2- five pound dry chemical ABC extinguishers handy, along with a garden hose. The BC covers the liquid and gaseous flammables while the waterhose will extinguish organic solids, so will the A but water is way cheaper.

I can tell you what I have done at my own risk a half dozen times. It worked with 100 pounders to make vacuum tanks.

Used all remaining gases for whatever project going on at the time, pipe sweating, brush burning, bolt heating and etc. Removed valve to allow any remaing gas to escape. Inverted tank to drain the accumulated liquid mercaptan into a pail. Propped tank close to vertical upside down and left overnight to allow any remaining gas to escape. Next day. Returned tank to upright and filled with soapy water and flushed.

This worked with large tanks for themal storage, 2 tanks one time.

Used remaining gas (one had already been vented and the other heated my house for about one month till empty). Elevated tank above pail to capture the liquid mercaptan. The mercaptan is the sweet stuff, well if you're a skunk ya might think it's sweet. Removed valve on top and drain plug below with the pail directly under. The liquid looks like a dark bourbon. If that stuff is drained to the ground it will take over a year to be odor free in that spot. Allowed it to vent overnight. Propane gas is heavier than air so whatever small amount remaing just fell right out the drain hole. Next day flushed with soapy water.

Mercaptan is flammable. I burned the liquid mercaptan in an open steel pail laying at an angle on an open fire. The smell is pretty much consumed in the combustion. It got to boiling and burned off quite rapidly, 3 gallons in about 20 minutes. Maybe there are rendering services that would accept mercaptan, I do not know.

Just so there would be no surprises while rigging the tank for its new purpose, I took a bar-b-que lighter wand and touched a flame to the bottom tank opening where the drain plug was removed. Nothing at all, was expecting a little whoomp of sorts but nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.